Head coach Mike Hastings announced Point Loma Community Bank has stepped up to sponsor lighing costs for the ninth annual “Light up the Point” Homecoming game. His Pointers will kick off at 6:30 p.m. on Nov. 8 against the defending Western League champion and 2012 state champion Madison Warhawks.
The cost for rental for those lights that surround Bennie Edens Field is $3,500, and a crew of volunteers must tow each generator/light tower to the field and return them early the next morning.
In addition, every home game will feature a theme designed to pack the stands at Pete Ross Stadium, with three of those home battles being played as part of triple-headers on fan-friendly Saturday afternoons.
In addition, the new building under construction at the Voltaire Street stadium entrance will be completed, featuring a new ticket booth, snack bar and restroom facility. The entryway will also be newly fenced, surfaced and upgraded as part of a $1 million project.
Players on next year’s team will also benefit from a full year in the school’s versatile new weight training facility.
Among returnees to the 2013 varsity team are Jake Wambaugh, an All-Western League first-team offense player; Dirk Lacy, second team offense and Jake Virissimo, named second-team defense as a sophomore last season.
• Aug. 23 — 6 p.m. M.Hills-Cathedral/Mission Hills (scrimmage)
• Aug. 31— 3 p.m. Olympian/Point Loma # (salute to military/police & fire personnel)
• Sept. 6 — 7 p.m. Ramona
• Sept. 14 — 3 p.m. Lincoln/Point Loma # Pointer Association Kickoff Game
• Sept. 20 — 6:30 p.m. Morse
• Sept. 28 — 1 p.m. Santana/Point Loma # (staff appreciation day)
• Oct. 4 — 6:30 p.m. Scripps Ranch
• Oct. 11— 6:30 p.m. Kearny @ Kearny
• Oct. 18 — 6:30 p.m. La Jolla @ La Jolla
• Oct. 25 — Bye week
• Nov. 1 — 3 p.m. Mission Bay @ Point Loma (youth football cheerleading)
• Nov. 8 — 6:30 p.m. Madison @ Point Loma (Homecoming)
# Denotes triple-header
@ Denotes Western League game