- PBMS Parent Night at MBHS will be 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 23 in the library. Parents and students will be introduced to the academic, sports, and extracurricular activities offered at MBHS. Counselors will be available for questions about articulation choices.
Pacific Beach Middle
- Kale Cadam surfed in the final Scholastic Surf Series contest at La Jolla Shores on Feb. 12, placing third in the short board competition and first overall for the season.
The team won the contest with top boys short boarders Niko Launais taking second place, Kale Cadam with third place, Silas Patricelli in fourth place, and Levi Retish with fifth place. Ellah Campagna placed third in girls longboard and Jenna Clark won girls shortboard with Hannah Dunfee taking third place. PBMS Surf Team, the PB Locals placed first overall for the season in the Scholastic Surf Series, Division 2.
Coach Scott Cadam remarked: "I am proud of all of the team members who competed this season and appreciate the support of all of the families. We had a great season!"
- More than 20 student ambassadors from Barnard Elementary School attended San Diego's annual downtown Chinese New Year Festival on Feb. 11 and 12. Kindergarten through fourth grade students introduced themselves to event attendees in Mandarin, handed out fortune cookies, and spoke about their love for their school. They were joined by Barnard principal Aida Hernandez, teachers, and parents in raising awareness about the school's Mandarin immersion program.
"Our students are our best salespeople," said Barnard PTA president Janis Tan. "They most clearly exemplify Barnard's strengths and successes. If our children can't win you over, nobody can!"
- PBE Family Science Night will be 5 to 7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 24. After the Makers Space dedication, the evening will be filled with hands-on STEM exploration and fun with SPAWAR, Climate Kids, Climate Science Alliance, and San Diego Youth Science. Chip's Beach Eatz will be on-site at 4:30 p.m., providing food for purchase with part of their proceeds donated to PBE.
- Congratulations to students who will be participating in Read Across America on March 2. Research shows that kids who are motivated readers will do better in school. Thank you to the PB business community for continued support. Friends of Kate Sessions will be holding their auction April 28. Donations support programs such as art and music which are not funded by the school district.
- On Friday, Feb. 24, at 4 p.m., Crown Point Jr. Music Academy will dedicate a garden in memory of CPJMA advocate and past PTO president, Raul Cadena, who was killed in a car accident last June. Former CPJMA students and Suzuki violin teacher, Stephen Luchs, will perform at the dedication. Community members are welcome to attend.
- The 12th annual Taste of North Pacific Beach will take place 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, March 15. Organized by the Friends of Pacific Beach Secondary Schools, all proceeds benefit programs and special events at Mission Bay High, Pacific Beach Middle, and Pacific Beach Elementary schools.
Sample an assortment of food and drink from 14 restaurants in North Pacific Beach. Listen to local school bands on the lawn of The Turquoise Animal Hospital and view student artwork at Gallery at Land’s End and Java Earth Café. Tickets are $15 per adult and $10 for children 5 to 12 years and can be purchased at Mission Bay High, Pacific Beach Middle, Pacific Beach Elementary, Java Earth Café, Leilani’s Café, and Pernicano’s.
Mission Bay Cluster
- The next Cluster meeting is 6 p.m. Thursday, March 2, at Barnard Elementary School. Join parents and school administration for informative discussions and presentations.