- Get into the Holiday Spirit with everything from holiday classics to jazz standards at the Winter Concert, featuring the award-winning Preservationists, Swing Choir, Mambo Orchestra, String Orchestra, Concert Band, and Full Orchestra 7 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 19 in the MBHS auditorium. Tickets cost $5 general admission, children and students are free.
Pacific Beach Middle
- Enjoy the sounds of PBMS musicians at the PBMS Winter Band Concert 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 13. This free event is open to the public.
Pacific Beach Elementary
- FOPBE has begun planning their biggest fundraiser of the year: the spring online auction and gala. If your business would like to be a sponsor or support the school through a donation, contact PBEl at email@example.com.
Crown Point Junior Music Academy
- First-year violin students in TK-second grade were excited to begin their first violin lessons this week. Their parents have been learning how to play the violin since September and now is the time to bring in the kids.
Crown Point Junior Music Academy’s unique Suzuki method includes an early beginning of listening, loving encouragement, parental support, constant repetition, learning with other children, and then learning to read sheet music.
- December brings lots of music to CPJMA. On Friday, Dec. 14, PB Middle School Orchestra will visit CPJMA at 11 a.m., in the auditorium. Enjoy CPJMA in the PB Holiday Parade 1 to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 15, as they walk down Garnet Avenue. The Winter Concert is 9 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 20, and the Holiday Sing-a-long is 8 a.m. Friday, Dec. 21, in the auditorium.
Kate Sessions Elementary
- Kate Sessions celebrated the season with an Art and Music Festival. The Center of World Music taught the TK/K-first graders folk dances from around the world led by Kin Ho, second-third grades with Ms. Nomsa performed South African Percussion, and fourth-fifth grades performed Brazilian Percussion led by Ms. Stefanie. The students were amazing.
- Sessions would like to extend a heartfelt thanks to the Mission Bay Real Estate Association as they presented Sessions with a check for $3,600. Every October, they organize the "Annual Don Brown Links for Learning Golf Tournament," raising money for Mission Bay Cluster schools.
Barnard Mandarin Magnet Elementary
- Barnard Mandarin Magnet Elementary School’s fifth annual Art Night was held on Nov. 30. More than 200 students and their families attended this award-winning event, which featured 20 different stations that gave participants the opportunity to explore art in various ways. The 2017-18 Barnard Elementary Art Night (affectionately known as B.E.A.N.) earned the Ruth Johnson Memorial Program Award from the San Diego Unified School District Council of PTAs in May.
This year’s event built on this foundation of excellence as children learned about and created art in different media, such as woodworking, clay sculpting, stamp-making, paper-cutting and origami, still-life drawing and painting, spin art, and 3-D printing. Favorite activities included a sewing station created by Paint Box Art Studio, a wooden peg doll decorating station staffed and supplied by the Mingei Art Museum, and a Banksy-inspired exhibit where children were allowed to graffiti “buildings” in “Barnardsville.”
“I really like Art Night; it was really fun,” Barnard first-grader Riley W. said. “My favorite stand was the positive and negative space stand. I really liked cutting things out and pasting them to make art.”
Friends of Pacific Beach Secondary Schools
- Registration for the Friends of Pacific Beach Secondary Schools’ 2019 SchoolYard Dash 5K and 1 Mile Kids Run is open. Sign up to take advantage of the early bird pricing at schoolyarddash.org. The sixth annual Schoolyard Dash 5K and 1 Mile Kids Fun Run is a great way to raise money for Pacific Beach Middle and Mission Bay High schools.
Join in on Sunday, Feb. 24, to run or walk with family and friends at De Anza Cove along the Mission Bay running path. Breakfast, snacks, coffee, and drinks will follow the race and top runners will be recognized. Come on out to enjoy the fun all while supporting Pacific Beach schools.