- MBHS sailing team is having a spaghetti dinner fundraiser at Mission Bay Yacht Club 6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 10. Join family and friends to enjoy dinner and listen to the music of The Sea Monks while supporting the MBHS sailing program. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door.
Pacific Beach Middle
- The community is welcome to enjoy performances by talented PBMS students at the annual PBMS Talent Show 6 p.m. Feb. 9, in the auditorium. Arrive at 5 p.m., and enjoy food from Mangia Mangia and Kona Ice. A part of the proceeds from the food trucks will be donated to PBMS. General admission is $5.
- Barnard will hold its annual Chinese New Year celebration 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 10. Hundreds of students, parents, and community members are expected to attend this free, family-friendly event on the school’s campus, at 2445 Fogg St. To celebrate the upcoming Year of the Dog, Barnard welcomes the public to enjoy lucky lion dancers (11 a.m.), martial arts demonstrations, Taiwanese Taiko drumming, Chinese cultural activities, and food and game booths for the entire family. While the event is free and open to the public, revenue from new year T-shirts will benefit Barnard Elementary.
- Carolyn Hernandez is PBE's teacher of the year. She is passionate about tailoring her teaching methods to individual student's needs and is gifted at discovering each student's talents. Hernandez grew up in Pacific Beach and attended PBE from preschool through third grade. Congratulations on a well-deserved award.
- San Diego Youth Science is taking PBE students on field trips to Tourmaline Beach, where students will be conducting studies in the intertidal habitats. This follows a classroom session in which students explore the diversity of PB's local marine habitats, from the tidepools to the kelp forests.
- Many Sessions Seahawks came out to run in the Schoolyard Dash 5K on Jan. 28, at De Anza Cove. Two of the Seahawks placed in the top three for elementary students: Ben Giffing won first and Caden Taffe took third. The Seahawk team also took home the trophy for being the school with the most participation. This coveted award will be displayed with pride in the front office. Congratulations to them and thank you to the Friends of PB Secondary Schools for putting on such a fun family event.
Friends of Pacific Beach Secondary Schools
- More than 300 runners participated in the Schoolyard Dash 5K on Jan. 27 at De Anza Cove. Raising money for PB secondary schools, this annual event brings together the community and families from all six Mission Bay Cluster schools including Mission Bay High, Pacific Beach Middle, Barnard Elementary, Crown Point Junior Music Academy, Kate Sessions Elementary, and Pacific Beach Elementary.
Top male and female finishers in the Adult division were Mark Kamp and Cynthia Stiles, in the High School division were Trevor Reichenberg and Gina Queck, in the Middle School division were Justin Reichenberg and Alexa Gibson, and in the Elementary School division were Ben Giffing and Navah Klipsky.