• The Parlotones perform at 9 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 31 at The Griffin, 1310 Morena Blvd. 21 and up. www.thegriffinsd.com
Soulful, jazzy and brassy, it’s no secret that Steph Johnson is one of the best singers San Diego has to offer today. On Feb. 2, Johnson will host a CD-release show for her new album, “Nature Girl,” performing with her ace trio that also features bassist Rob Thorsen and drummer Fernando Gomez. Johnson is a major talent, recently making inroads on a national level. If you’re a fan of jazz and soul, this is an artist you’ll want to follow. Longtime listeners of her music will enjoy every moment of this show. Newcomers will find it revelatory.
• Steph Johnson performs at 8 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 2 at Dizzy’s, 4275 Mission Bay Drive. $15. www.dizzysjazz.com
Bring a little taste of new Orleans to the stage, The Bayou Brothers perform at Tio Leo’s on Wednesday, Feb. 6. Specializing in Cajun and Zydeco sounds, the Bayou Brothers’ festive sound means just about every show turns into a giant dance party. The band mixes originals with vintage covers, ranging from genre classics to rock and soul classics like “Louie Louie” and “I Feel Good,” for a sound that’s just about irresistible. The Bayou Brothers have two albums to date, both worthy listens, but this is a band that needs to be experienced live for the full effect.
• The Bayou Brothers perform at 9 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 6 at Tio Leo’s, 5302 Napa St. 21 and up. Cover TBD. www.tioleos.com
The Typhoon Saloon doesn’t host a lot of live music, so when it spotlights a band, you know they’re good. Such is the case with the Red Not Chili Peppers, performing Feb. 8. True crowd pleasers in every sense of the word, the band gives an over-the-top performance of its namesake band’s biggest hits. Passionate and accurate, the band’s versions of such cuts as “Under The Bridge” and “Give it Away” will have the crowds singing along to every word. Now touring on a national level, when it comes to tribute acts, The Red Not Chili Peppers are hard to beat.
• Red Not Chili Peppers perform at 9 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 8 at the Typhoon Saloon, 1165 Garnet Ave. 21 and up. No Cover. www.typhoonsaloon.com
Just about every small venue in town seems to have an open-mic night these days, but a new event taking place at Brick by Brick promises to have a slight edge on the rest — for both performers and audience. Taking place at one of the city’s premiere music venues, artists have the chance to play the same stage as many rising music stars, as well as use the venue’s state-of-the-art sound system. While there is never a guarantee of the quality of open-mic fare, there is no doubt whatever is on offer will sound the best it possibly can. The night is sponsored by local music champions SD Music TV, so expect roving cameras and a quick paced, well-managed show.
• Open-mic night: 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 13 at Brick by Brick, 1130 Buenos Ave. 21 and up. No cover. www.brickbybrick.com