• The Amandas perform at 8 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 24 at Beaumont’s, 5662 La Jolla Blvd. 21 and up. www.beaumontseatery.com
On Nov. 30, jazz pianist Joshua White debuts a brand-new band at Dizzy’s. White began formal training at the tender age of seven, and by the age of 10, he was organist with the Encanto Southern Baptist Church. It was only the opening salvo in a career that’s seen him work with the likes of composer Anthony Davis and fellow pianist Mike Wofford. Already one of the most respected musicians in San Diego, he is also seen as a rising star on a national level, with one solo album to his credit, as well as appearances on discs by such local luminaries as bassist Danny Weller. Anyone who thinks San Diego’s jazz scene isn’t world class only needs to take a brief listen to White to be proven wrong.
• Joshua White performs at 8 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 30 at Dizzy’s, 4275 Mission Bay Drive. $15. www.dizzysjazz.com
321 Stereo may have a new lineup, but for danceable pop rock, they’re still hard to beat. Appearing at the
710 Beach Club on Nov. 30, the band is adept at turning out songs that sound like long-lost hits from the mid-1980s. Its recordings to date haven’t yet matched its live performances, but it’s just a matter of time. With a slew of radio friendly songs like “Take Me Up” and “Have Fun Tonight” in its arsenal, fans of deep song hooks and synth-heavy beats should rush to see and hear this band.
• 321 Stereo performs at 9 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 30 at the 710 Beach Club, 710 Garnet Ave. 21 and up. www.710bc.com
If you’re a local blues fan, it’s likely you’ve come across Chet Cannon. Appearing at Tio Leo’s on Nov. 30, Cannon is a gifted harmonica player and vocalist and a terrific songwriter with a slew of blues tunes to his credit that slot in well next to the tunes of his musical heroes. One of the hardest-working musicians in town, Cannon plays in many formats, but for a show like this, you can expect a mix of uptempo blues and standards, keeping both swing dancers and toe-tappers happy.
• Chet Cannon performs at 9 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 30 at Tio Leo’s, 5302 Napa St. 21 and up. Cover TBD. www.tioleos.com
Minimalist guitar and drum duo The Mattson 2 performs at The Griffin on Dec. 1. With just guitar and drums, one might expect the sound to be a little thin, but in fact the pair’s interplay is nothing short of stunning, taking in elements of jazz, surf, rock, soundtracks and more, mashing them up into an invigorating sound. The duo is never less than great live, but make sure you save a bit of applause for the moment Jared Mattson unveils his double-neck guitar. It’s something that’s hard to beat both sonically and visually.
• The Mattson 2 performs at 9 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 1 at The Griffin, 1310 Morena Blvd. 21 and up. www.thegriffinsd.com