• Open mic and art show, 6 p.m., Prodigy School of Arts, 5725 La Jolla Blvd., Prodigy School students and other young performers are invited to perform, (858) 456-2753, www.prodigyarts.com, free
• La Jolla Community Planning Association meeting, 6 p.m., La Jolla Recreation Center, 615 Prospect St., (858) 456-7900, www.lajollacpa.org, free
FRIDAY, Dec. 7
• Think Tank: Cartesian Divers, 1 to 3 p.m., Birch Aquarium, 2300 Expedition Way, collaborative learning experience about the natural world, (858) 534-3474, aquarium.ucsd.edu, included in $14 admission
• Tom Grrl, Watercolor Paintings, Adams & Eves and Sledding With Tigers, 7 p.m., Che Café, 9500 Gilman Drive, thechecafe.blogspot.com, $7
SATURDAY, Dec. 8
• University City High School jazz band and string quartet, 1 to 4 p.m., Bookstar Costa Verde, 8650 Genesee Ave., Ste. 230, concert to kick off book fair to benefit the UCHS music program, (858) 457-7561, free
• “Corazon,” 5 to 10 p.m., Thumbprint Gallery, 920 Kline St., Ste. 104, opening reception for exhibit of work by artist EXIST 1981, (858) 354-6294, www.thumbprintgallerysd.ecom, free
• Holiday Evening Under the Stars, 7 to 10 p.m., 538 Sea Lane, La Jolla Youth Soccer League benefit hosted by Hike Bike Kayak Sports and Menehune Surf School wine, hors d’oeuvres and music by classical guitarist Craig Perry, www.facebook.com/events/350864871677157, $15
• “Dark/Bright,” 2 p.m., UCSD Mandeville Auditorium, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla Symphony and Chorus concert, (858) 534-4637, www.lajollasymphony.com, $15-$29
• A Morning with UC San Diego, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Price Center at UCSD, 9500 Gilman Drive, prospective transfer students learn about the application process, financial aid resources and research opportunities, SanDiegoCalSoalp.com, (858) 569-1866, free
SUNDAY, Dec. 9
• La Jolla Open Aire Market, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., La Jolla Elementary School, 1111 Marine St., (858) 454-1699, www.lajollamarket.com, free
• Suzie’s farm-to-table cooking class, 10 a.m., Cups Lounge and Culinary, 7857 Girard Ave., participants will learn how to work with produce from Suzie’s farm CSA box in a hands-on cooking class, (858) 459-2877, www.cupslj.com, $65
MONDAY, Dec. 10
• “Exploring Beyond the Abyss: The Deep Sea Challenge Expedition,” 6:30 p.m., Birch Aquarium, 2300 Expedition Way, marine microbiologist Doug Bartlett speaks for the “Perspectives on Ocean Science” series about how organisms thrive in extreme ocean depths, (858) 534-5771, aquarium.ucsd.edu, general admission $8, members free
TUESDAY, Dec. 11
• Coffee with a bookseller: children’s edition, 10:30 a.m., Warwick’s, 7812 Girard Ave., learn about the top new children’s books, great gift ideas, and enjoy coffee and scones and free gift wrapping, (858) 454-0347, www.warwicks.com, free
• Phat-Panda Presents: Spencer James featuring Zoltan, 8 p.m., The Comedy Store, 916 Pearl St., debut comedy show headlined by Spencer James and featuring San Diego’s own Zoltan and guest appearances by Mike Kadir and mike Castleberry, (858) 454-9176, phatpandalajolla.eventbrite.com, $7 in advance, $10 at the door plus two-drink minimum
• El Mundo: “Buon Natale y Felices Fiestas,” 8 p.m., St. James by-the-Sea Episcopal Church, 743 Prospect St., distinctive Latin fusion ensemble, (619) 291-8246, www.sdems.org, general admission $30-$35, members $28-$32
• Annual holiday luncheon, 11 a.m., La Jolla Community Center, 6811 La Jolla Blvd., mingle with fellow members and friends for a hot lunch and entertainment by the La Jolla Community Center choir, (858) 459-0831, www.ljcommunitycenter.org, $10 nonmembers, members free
WEDNESDAY, Dec. 12
• Children’s storytime, 3 p.m., Athenaeum, 1008 Wall St., (858) 454-5872, www.ljathenaeum.org, free
• Tidepooling for tots at Dike Rock, 1:30 p.m., Birch Aquarium, 2300 Expedition Way, scan hiding places for scurrying creatures living at Dike Rock’s tide pools for ages two to five, (858) 534-7336, aquarium.ucsd.edu, general admission $15, members $12
• “Jewish Ritual: Rethinking, Renewed,” 7:30 p.m., San Diego Center for Jewish Culture’s Gotthelf Art Gallery, 4126 Executive Drive, opening night artist reception, (858) 362-1154, www.sdcjc.org/gag, free
THURSDAY, Dec. 13
• La Jolla Town Council meeting, 5 p.m., La Jolla Recreation Center, 615 Prospect St., (858) 454-1444, www.lajollatowncouncil.org, free
To ready film lovers for San Diego’s 23rd annual Jewish Film Festival, the Lawrence Family Jewish Community Center will host special guest filmmaker James L. Freedman, creator of “Glickman” — the inspirational story of groundbreaking Jewish sports legend Marty Glickman and his trials to overcome bigotry and revolutionize sports imagery in the media.
For one night only on Dec. 11, the story of Glickman’s life — from being benched in the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games to placate Hitler to becoming the voice of modern basketball broadcasting — will air on the big screen at the community center’s David and Dorothea Garfield Theatre, immediately followed by a film discussion with Freedman.
The film screening will begin at 7 p.m. Tickets to the screening and post-film discussion are $13.75. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit www.sdcjc.org/sdjff or call (858) 362-1348. The Lawrence Family Jewish Community Center is located at 4126 Executive Drive.
San Diego’s one-and-only opera singing chef, Elizabeth Podsiadlo, will kick off the holidays in La Jolla with “Songs of the Sea & Carols of the Season” at the La Jolla Community Center Dec. 15. The festivities begin at 6 p.m. with a wine and hors d’oeuvres reception in addition to a cooking demonstration by Podsiadlo, who will create her flavorful beggar’s fish soup complete with potatoes, tomatoes, rosemary and fish. Following the cocktail hour, the chef will perform alongside baritone Patrick Andersen, pianist John Danke and several of their caroling friends. Songs will include operatic arias, contemporary holiday hits, classical tunes, folk carols and songs of the sea. Tickets to the holiday program are $20 for members and $30 for nonmembers. All proceeds from the event will benefit the La Jolla Community Center, located at 6811 La Jolla Blvd. For more information, visit www.ljcommunitycenter.org or call (858) 459-0831.
The Bishop’s School’s talented symphony orchestra will present “A Symphonic Wonderland” at the campus’ Taylor Performing Arts Center on Dec. 12. The program will begin at 7 p.m. with a harp performance of the Nutcracker Suite by Tchaikovsky, featuring a beautiful lyrical cadenza by Bishop’s junior Elizabeth Barnes. Freshman Jay Shankar and guest musician Alexander Gourevitsh — lead clarinetist with the Moscow Philharmonic and the Moscow Radio Bolshoi Symphony Orchestra — will also delight audience members with the magical sounds of Mendelssohn’s Concertpiece. The Bishop’s instrumental ensemble and symphony orchestra are also included in the program under the leadership of conductor Vladimir Goltsman. Tickets are $7.50 and available at boxoffice.bishops.com. The Bishop’s School is located at 7607 La Jolla Blvd.
La Jolla’s St. James by-the-Sea will continue its music series with the renowned a cappella ensemble, “Sweet Honey in the Rock,” on Dec. 9 for a lively performance featuring the talented all-female ensemble and its musical fusion of blues, spirituals, gospel, rap, hip hop, reggae, African chants, ancient lullabies, jazz improvisation and much more. The concert will begin at 5 p.m. at St. James by-the-Sea, located at 743 Prospect St. Tickets are $25 and children and students are admitted free at concert time, space permitting. For tickets or information, visit www.sjbts.org or call (858) 459-3421 ext. 109.
The folks at Hotel La Jolla know that the holidays are as much for the family pooch as it is for the kids. That’s why the contemporary boutique hotel, part of the Kimpton family of hotels, is inviting pet owners to bring their furry family member to their festively decorated lobby for a photo opportunity with Santa Paws and tasty treats for their pet. La Jolla-based Muttropolis and the Rancho Coastal Humane Society will also be on hand with surprise giveaways for participants at the two-day event on Dec. 8 and 9 from 2 to 4 p.m. Hotel La Jolla is located at 79565 La Jolla Shores Drive. For more information, visit www.hotellajolla.com or call (858) 459-0261.