The improvements, which will be broken out in staggered segments through October 2011 to minimize inconvenience to residents and motorists, are intended to reduce the risk of sewer main spills and water-main breaks in the community, according to Ana Maria Rojas, public information officer for the city’s Engineering and Capital Projects Department.
Rojas said 13 total sewer and water-main replacement projects are slated — some currently in construction, some to begin before January 2011, and the balance of the projects will continue through the fall of 2011.
The replacement effort is being funded by the city’s Capital Improvements Program.
“Some of the pipes were installed as early as the 1920s,” said city engineer Afshin Oskoui. “It’s very important that we replace these aging pipes and upgrade our water and sewer systems to accommodate and better serve our growing communities.”
City officials said neighbors and motorists in Point Loma can expect construction impacts ranging from noise and debris to reduced parking and traffic detours from trenching to install the new pipes.
Streets affected by the construction will be repaired and resurfaced with a slurry seal or asphalt concrete overlay as each project segment is completed, according to city officials.
The series of projects will also include the installation of curb ramps.
“Our department is coordinating the construction of these projects with the goal of minimizing impacts to the residents,” said Dave Zoumaras, deputy director of the Field Engineering Division. “We’re making sure that traffic detours don’t run into each other and that we keep an open line of communication with the community.”
City officials said residents directly impacted by a project will be notified of construction activities in advance.
Work is slated to take place at the following locations between today, Sept. 23 and Thursday, Oct. 7 (see the city’s online map for specifics):
• Etiwanda Street between Castelar and Voltaire streets (sewer and water group job 544);
• West Point Loma Boulevard from Bacon to Cable streets (Sunset Cliffs TS);
• Silvergate Avenue from Silvergate Place to Jennings Street (water group job 3013);
• Alley between Centraloma and Bernice drives; La Cresta Drive between Poe Street and Bernice Drive (sewer group job 726);
• Long Branch Avenue from Sunset Cliffs Boulevard to Guizot Street (water group job 3010); and
• West Point Loma Boulevard between Famosa Boulevard and Adrian Street/Bob Street (Famosa accel-sewer and water).
For full project details, schedules and locations, call (619) 533-4207, or visit www.sandiego.gov/engineering-cip.