Salute the Season continues through January with more seasonal celebrations, including Rady Children’s Ice Rink at Liberty Station through Sunday, Jan. 6.
“Our annual Liberty Station tree lighting and holiday festivities is the perfect way for families to kick off the holidays, offering all of the timeless holiday traditions that make this time of year so special,” said Rick Wilson, executive director of Liberty Station Community Association. “After the tree lighting, Salute the Season will continue on with more holiday celebrations for loved ones to create memories and partake in the joy of the season.”
Live entertainment will kick off the Nov. 30 event at 5 p.m., with the tree lighting starting at 6:15 p.m. Watch the ceremony as a patient family of Rady Children’s Hospital lights the towering Christmas tree from top to bottom.
Following the tree lighting, peruse the neighborhood and grab a bite from the neighborhood eateries before the outdoor viewing of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” which will be projected onto a custom-made sail by a local craftsman. Ice skating will be open the whole evening for families and the community to enjoy.
Also happening throughout Salute the Season:
- Rady Children’s Ice Rink will stay open daily from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., except on Thanksgiving and Christmas, through Sunday, Jan. 6. Net proceeds benefit psychosocial services in the Rady Children’s Hospital’s Peckham Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders. Throughout the season, tickets are $15 for adults and $13 for children. Punch cards for five visits are available for $50.
- Salute the Season celebration with Santa and friends will take place Dec. 1, Dec. 8, Dec. 15 and Dec. 22. Every Saturday of the month before Dec. 25 from 5 to 8 p.m., friends and family are invited to celebrate the holidays and take photos with Santa. In addition to a visit from Saint Nick, the Salute the Season celebration with Santa and friends will provide live entertainment including bands and carolers.
- The Hanukkah celebration and Menorah lighting will take place Monday, Dec. 3. In partnership with the Chabad Centers of Pacific Beach and downtown, Liberty Station invites the community to celebrate the beginning of Hanukkah with an early evening Menorah lighting in the Central Promenade from 5 to 9 p.m. The Hanukkah celebration will encompass music, photo opportunities, and more.
- Friday Night Liberty’s holiday extravaganza will take place Friday, Dec. 7. Connect with working artists, enjoy dance, theatre and musical performances as well as engage with museums and galleries during this holiday-themed version of Liberty Station’s free monthly art open-house event. While you’re there, be on the lookout for unique holiday gifts for your loved ones.
- The Nutcracker Tea Party with Santa is set for Sunday, Dec. 16. Liberty Station Community Association presents the magical story of the Nutcracker at an afternoon of tea from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. near the Central Promenade. Families are invited to celebrate the spirit of Christmas at The Nutcracker Tea Party with tea, hot cocoa, cookies, an interactive performance of the Nutcracker and a visit from a special guest from the North Pole, Santa.
- A free day of dance will happen on Wednesday, Dec. 26. The Arts District’s Dorothea Laub Dance Place will offer a free day of classes for dance enthusiasts of all levels and abilities. Meet the instructors and take sample classes during this annual dance presented by San Diego Dance Connect, Malashock Dance, San Diego Ballet and San Diego Dance Theater.
For more information about this year’s Salute the Season events, visit libertystation.com.
Tree lighting & festivities
Where: North Promenade,
When: Friday, Nov. 30, from 5 to 9 p.m., tree lighting at 6:15 p.m.