Three men plead guilty to manslaughter in Pacific Beach shooting
Published - 10/23/19 - 09:00 AM | 2822 views | 0 0 comments | 43 43 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Blue tinted monotone image of a gavel and scales of justice
Blue tinted monotone image of a gavel and scales of justice
Three men have pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter in the shotgun slaying of a man in a Pacific Beach house on Dec. 29, 2018.

Deputy District Attorney Flavio Nominati said Tuesday the gunman, Carlos Yslas, 25, faces between 27 to 30 years in state prison for the shooting death of Marcanthony Mendivil, 44. 

Pedro Ramirez, 27, and Freddy Sosa, 38, pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter and felony assault. Both men will receive a stipulated prison term of eight years, said Nominati. 

A murder charge was dismissed against all three when they pleaded guilty to manslaughter on Oct. 18.  A fourth man, Paul Charles Weinberger, 51, has a preliminary hearing set for Nov. 18.

The sentence for Yslas includes a penalty of 25 years after Yslas admitted to personally using a gun in a homicide. San Diego Superior Court Judge Fred Link set sentencing for Yslas and Ramirez on Jan. 10, 2020. Sosa will be sentenced on Nov. 15.

The shooting took place at Weinberger's house in the 2300 block of Wilbur Avenue in Pacific Beach.  The motive for the shooting has not been discussed in court.  Nominati said Yslas carried a shotgun in a bag upon entering the home at 1:45 a.m. and shot him twice while wearing a mask.

Nominati told a judge at the arraignment Jan. 4 of Weinberger and Sosa that the gunman "executed him while he was in his bed."

Weinberger was not believed to be at the house when the shooting occurred. His attorney, former District Attorney Paul Pfingst, said Weinberger gave Mendivil permission for him to stay the night as he lived elsewhere.

It was Weinberger who fainted at his arraignment after the judge set $10 million bail for him. The bail was later reduced to $1 million. Weinberger was able to post $1 million bond and is the only defendant in the group to be free. The others all remain in jail without bail.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Comments are back! Simply post the comment (it'll complain about you failing the human test) then simply click on the captcha and then click "Post Comment" again. Comments are also welcome on our Facebook page.