Slated to open to residents in 2019, the tower will encompass 300 modern apartment homes that will be among the best appointed in the entire San Diego region. Each of the studios, one- bedroom, two-bedroom, and three-bedroom units will feature sleek interior design, high-end finishes, and elegant architectural motifs. Views from the residences will provide panoramas of the Pacific Ocean, La Jolla, and San Diego’s mountains.
The tower will also include best-in-class amenities such as:
- A beautifully landscaped one-half acre pool and amenity deck with junior Olympic- size pool and relaxing spa, outdoor kitchens, grills, cabanas, lounges, and fire pits.
- Resort-inspired “sky lounge” on the 23rd floor with 360-degree views of the ocean and surrounding landscapes. The lounge offers private dining, top-shelf bar, and outdoor decks with fire tables.
- A clubroom on the 3rd floor featuring indoor/outdoor entertaining space, access to outdoor and catering kitchens, as well as a media room, sports lounge, billiards and more.
- Fitness center with outdoor fitness deck, yoga and spin classes, steam rooms, and spa.
- Library, private workspace and conference room facilities equipped with top of the line audio/visual and IT infrastructure. They will also offer 24/7 concierge services along with private underground parking.
"Being able to offer the chance to live in close proximity to great shopping, dining, entertainment, health and fitness, and workspaces, is very exciting,” said John Alderson, Westfield’s vice president of development in San Diego. “Westfield has been a dedicated champion of the UTC neighborhood for the past 40 years, and breaking ground on the new residential tower is an important milestone and the next step in our chapter as we continue to showcase the community. We’re looking forward to welcoming new residents to the neighborhood."
The beginning of construction on the tower comes as the culmination of a five-year planning effort undertaken between Westfield and Greystar, the largest operator of apartments in the United States. In addition to serving as development and construction advisors on the project, Greystar will professionally manage the community once the tower opens to residents.
Future residents of the tower will have access to all of the dining, shopping and other amenities available at Westfield UTC, which will complete the next phase of its renovation this fall. The property’s resort-inspired transformation includes the opening of a new two-level Nordstrom alongside on-trend fashion brands making their debut in the San Diego market, as well as exceptional new restaurants such as Din Tai Fung, Javier’s, The Winery Restaurant & Wine Bar La Jolla, Larsen’s Steakhouse, Great Maple, Smokeyard BBQ and Chop Shop, Napizza, Shake Shack, and True Food Kitchen.
The residential tower and shopping center will also provide close proximity to mass transit, as in the future UTC will be home to a regional transit station for the new San Diego trolley line connecting Downtown San Diego with the La Jolla area.
The residential development at UTC is Westfield’s first such project in the U.S. Westfield is examining opportunities to create 8,000 homes on land it currently owns across its global portfolio and, in addition to the commencement of construction at UTC in 2018, it also anticipates beginning work on a 1,200 apartment project at Stratford City in the U.K.