Chloe Pardo and the Mission Bay cheerleaders performed during half time of the Bucs’ homecoming game against Patrick Henry. / PHOTO BY THOMAS MELVILLE
Mission Bay High
- Mission Bay High School junior, Taylor Kavieff, was recently named the American Red Cross Youth Volunteer of the Year for 2016-17. The award recognized Kavieff for her commitment to her “service to the Armed Forces,” and a program that brought holiday cheer to many wounded and injured service men and women.
Taylor has been a 4.0 student throughout her school career in Pacific Beach, starting at Kate Sessions Elementary, then Pacific Beach Middle and now Mission Bay High. Her academics have been recognized by the Pacific Beach Town Council and the Pacific Beach Kiwanis Club. She is a two-year varsity athlete in track and a member of the Mission Bay High School Academic League team.
- The last MBHS tour before the School Choice application is set for 8 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 9, in the library. San Diego Unified's School Choice online applications for the 2018-2019 school year are due Nov. 13.
Pacific Beach Middle
- Are you interested in PBMS for the 2018-2019 school year, but don't live in PB? You can apply to attend PBMS by submitting an online application through the School Choice program at www.sandiegounified.org until Nov. 13.
- The PBMS tour will take place 8 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 2, in the Media Center. Hear about all of the great programs at PBMS from principal Meng and parent representatives. This is the last tour before the San Diego Unified School Choice applications are due.
- Kate Sessions Elementary’s annual Fall Carnival will take place Friday, Oct. 27, from 2:10 to 4:30 p.m. Enjoy a bake sale, costume parade, and game booths hosted by each classroom and the popular Haunted House put together by the fifth graders. Pizza and drinks will be available for purchase, as well.
- Final Donation Update: the first graders in rooms 3 and 9 ended up sending a grand total of $121, from their piggy banks, to the Red Cross for hurricane relief.
- School tours at Pacific Beach Elementary will take place Oct. 25 and Nov. 8. For prospective students outside the area, the choice enrollment window is Oct. 2 – Nov. 13.
- A community meeting to discuss the joint-use field expansion at Pacific Beach Elementary will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. on Oct. 30 in the PBE auditorium. The meeting will discuss plans to add a natural turf field and walking tracks, and make these additions and the existing hard courts open to the community after school, on weekends, and during school breaks.
- Crown Point Elementary invites the community to join them for dine-outs on Oct. 24 at Wendy's, and Oct. 30 at Rubio’s on Grand Avenue. They will post the flyers on their Facebook and web pages, just show up with the flyer to help support the school.
- The public is invited to join the free Trunk or Treat on Friday, Oct. 27 from 5 to 8 p.m. on the CPJMA campus. Come in costume and enjoy trunk-or-treating and carnival games, vote for the best trunk, watch a student flash mob, and if you're brave enough, try the Haunted Library. It's going to be a spooky good time.
- On Saturday, Nov. 4, the Music Club will be performing at PB Taylor Library from 11 a.m. to noon.
- Students from Barnard Elementary, a Mandarin immersion magnet school in PB, performed before representatives from Mayor Kevin Faulconer’s office, San Diego Unified School District Superintendent Cindy Marten, school board trustees, and visiting Chinese dignitaries on Sept. 26, at the Eugene Brucker Education Center. Prospective families and community members alike are invited to tour the school to see the Mandarin learning in action. For information, visit www.sandiegounified.org/barnard.
- Join in on the conversation and discover what's going on in PB's secondary schools at the next Friends of Pacific Beach Secondary Schools meeting 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 25 in the PBMS Media Center.
Mission Bay Cluster
- Learn about the upcoming events and changes in Pacific Beach and San Diego Unified schools at the next Mission Bay Cluster meeting 6 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 2 at Pacific Beach Elementary School.