• Social Club performs at 9 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 9 at the Typhoon Saloon, 1165 Garnet Ave. 21 and up. No cover. www.typhoonsaloon.com
Stone Temple Pilots (STP) tribute band Wicked Garden performs at the 710 Beach Club on Dec. 9. STP was the biggest-selling act to call San Diego home during the 1990s, with songs like “Interstate Love Song” and “Plush” becoming radio mainstays nearly two decades after their release. They also had six top-10 albums and tabloid headlines to match, making it a bit of a surprise that more groups aren’t specializing in their songs. Rest assured, Wicked Garden specializes in the hits, making this show the next best thing to catching a club set from the classic rock icons.
• Wicked Garden performs at 9 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 9 at the 710 Beach Club, 710 Garnet Ave. 21 and up. Cover TBD. www.reverbnation.com/wickedgardensd
If you’re a fan of rock and blues guitar playing, the month’s best option is easily Extreme Cream, which appears at Brick by Brick on Dec. 16. Featuring guitarist Mike Keneally, Robbie Pagliari and drummer Kofi Baker, the band’s name says it all. Extreme Cream plays new versions of classic songs by sixties legends Cream, like “Tales of Brave Ulysses” and “White Room.” The band is made up of all virtuoso performers in their own right, allowing the trio to breathe new life into the material. Notably, Baker is the son of original Cream drummer Ginger Baker, but its Keneally’s fiery guitar work that will most impress.
• Extreme Cream performs at 8 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 16 at Brick by Brick, 1130 Buenos Ave. 21 and up. $10. www.brickbybrick.com
Bringing a touch of Spain to Pacific Beach, Costa Brava continues to be one of the best locations in town to experience live flamenco music. It will play host to Angelita Agujetas on Sunday, Dec. 11 and Sunday, Dec. 18. Agujetas was raised in Rota, a small town near Jerez de la Frontera, part of a renowned family of gypsy flamenco singers. It all adds up to one of the best and most authentic performances you’ll come across. The perfect match of venue and artist — with a mix of fine food and music — these performances are like a quick trip to Europe.
• Angelita Agujetas performs at 7 p.m. on Dec. 11 and Dec. 18 at Costa Brava, 1653 Garnet Ave. No cover. www.costabravasd.com
Black Market Baby is a new trio formed by guitarist Scottie ‘Mad Dog’ Blinn, bassist Roxy Coverdale and drummer Haley Allen, performing at Tio Leo’s on Dec. 16. Blinn is best known as frontman for blues-and-punk-influenced group The Mississippi Mudsharks, but Black Market Baby promises to kick things up a notch, with hard-rocking originals and an off-the-wall selection of covers ranging from Leadbelly to Tom Waits. The band is working on its first album, but Black Market Baby is a band you want to catch up-close-and-personal.
• Black Market Baby performs at 9 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 16 at Tio Leo’s, 5302 Napa St. 21 and up. Cover TBD. www.reverbnation.com/blackmarketbaby