Whisknladle recently launched a monthly Supper Club for guests to enjoy an evening of exquisitely themed and prepared pre-fixe dinners and fine wine, while also expanding their social circles in an intimate 12-person setting. Supper Club dinners take place each Saturday throughout the summer at 7:30 p.m., with rotating menu themes each month. For the month of June, Whisknladle will host “Escoffier to Bras: A Trip through French Cuisine” to encourage lively conversation amongst new friends over fine French fare. Because Whisknladle’s Supper Club is intended for strangers to meet together over a family-style meal and friendly chat, reservations are limited to parties of four or less. Tickets, including wine pairings, are $75 per person. For more information, visit www.whisknladle.com or call (858) 551-7575.
Making a splash
To beat the heat, the La Jolla Aquatic Complex Foundation is inviting community members to come enjoy a day of fun in the sun at the Coggan Family Aquatic Complex for its annual “Splash Bash” community pool party on June 10. The noon-to-4 p.m. event will include live music by The Luke Daniels Band, entertainment by Extreme Parties, an all-you-can-eat smorgasbord of hot dogs, sliders and ice cream, and inflatable pool toys and inner tubes for the kids to enjoy in the complex’s Olympic size swimming pool.
Admission to the event is just $5 and includes all food and activities. Coggan Family Aquatic Complex is located at 800 Nautilus St., on the southeast side of La Jolla High School’s campus.
For more information, call (858) 456-0945 or visit www.cogganaquatics.org.
Taste what’s new
To get a taste of what Westfield UTC is cooking up in its grand renovation plans, the local shopping center will host a free, family-friendly weekend event, “A Taste of Westfield UTC,” to show off its newly revitalized dining terrace.
For the weekend of June 1-2, the dining terrace and entire Sports Chalet wing will transform into a festive atmosphere, complete with live music, face painting, balloon artistry and live entertainment for kids and adults. The lively kid-folk duo Hullabaloo will make an appearance on June 1 at 11 a.m. and June 2 at noon for some kids tunes that parents too are sure to enjoy. The popular children’s act Clint Perry & the Boo Hoo Crew will also take the stage on June 2 at 11 a.m. to “put a smile on you” with its upbeat, hour-long musical performance. Special deals from new and existing food retailers, prizes and giveaways will be offered throughout the two-day event.
A Taste of Westfield UTC will take place on June 1 and 2 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Westfield UTC is located at 4425 La Jolla Village Drive. For more information, visit www.westfield.com/utc or call (858) 546-8858.
THURSDAY, May 31
• Club Salsa, 7 p.m., The Loft, 9500 Gilman Drive, performances, live music and salsa dancing, (858) 534-8497, www.artpwr.com, free
• PC Blockbusters: “The Vow,” 6 p.m., UCSD Price Center, 9500 Gilman Drive, film screening, $5 general admission, $3 UCSD students, members free
• “Feed Your Greedy Organ” workshop, 7 p.m. to 11 p.m., UCSD Price Center, 9500 Gilman Drive, art contest for artists 25 years and younger, (858) 454- 3541, www.mcasd.org, free
• LJHS annual spring concert, 6 p.m., LJHS quad, 750 Nautilus St., (858) 454-3081, ljhs.sandi.net, free
• “In and With – Part 1,” 3 p.m., UCSD’s Geisel Library, 9500 Gilman Drive, panel discussion about the role of education in a knowledge-based economy, www.theregoes.org, (858) 534-2230, free
FRIDAY, June 1
• First Fridays wine tasting, 5:30 p.m., Fleming’s, 8970 University Center Ln., (858) 535-0078, www.flemingssteakhouse.com, $25
• “Der Kaiser Von Atlantis,” 7 p.m., Conrad Prebys Music Center, 9500 Gilman Drive, staged production of Viktor Ullmann’s 1943 chamber opera, also showing June 2, (858) 534-3448, musicweb.ucsd.edu, general admission $15.50, UCSD staff, faculty and alumni $10.50, students free one hour before concert
• “Heresy! Greetings from Rome and Canterbury,” 7:30 p.m., St. James by-the-Sea Episcopal Church, 743 Prospect St., Bach Collegium San Diego closes the season with music by 16th century composers Palestrina and Byrd, (619) 341-1726, www.bachcollegiumsd.org, $25 general admission, $20 students and seniors
SATURDAY, June 2
• “3 Painters” opening reception, 5 p.m., R.B. Stevenson Gallery, 7661 Girard Ave., www.rbstevensongallery.com, (858) 459-3917, free
• “Long Long Ago,” noon, Warwick’s, 7812 Girard Ave., book discussion with author Elwin Law, (858) 454-0347, www.warwicks.com, free
• “Wife 22,” 7:30 p.m., Warwick’s, 7812 Girard Ave., book signing with author Melanie Gideon, (858) 454-0347, www.warwicks.com, free
• “The Baptiste Method of Yoga,” 11:30 a.m., La Jolla Yoga Center, 7741 Fay Ave., (858) 456-2412, www.mindbodyonline.com, $60
• Best of Book Arts, 3 p.m., UCSD Geisel Library, 9500 Gilman Drive, opening reception for San Diego Book Arts’ fourth national juried exhibition, (858) 534-3336, www.sandiegobookarts.org, free
SUNDAY, June 3
• “The Enchantress,” 2:30 p.m., La Jolla Library, 7555 Draper Ave., book signing with author Michael Scott, (858) 552-1657, www.lajollalibrary.org, free
MONDAY, June 4
• “The Newlyweds,” 7:30 p.m., Warwick’s, 7812 Girard Ave., book signing with author Nell Freudenberger, (858) 454-0347, www.warwicks.com, free
• Blabbermouth, 7 p.m., The Loft, 9500 Gilman Drive, open mic night, www.artpwr.com, (858) 534-8497, free
• Jewelry bead class, 2:30 p.m., La Jolla Community Center, 6811 La Jolla Blvd., (858) 459-0831, www.rifordcenter.org, $15 members, $20 nonmembers
TUESDAY, June 5
• Bird Rock Community Council meeting, 6 p.m.,
• La Jolla Coastal Access and Parking Board meeting, 4 p.m., La Jolla Recreation Center, 615 Prospect St., (858) 454-5855, email@example.com, free
WEDNESDAY, June 6
• International Estate & Tax Planning for professional advisors, 2 p.m., Hilton La Jolla, 10950 Torrey Pines Rd., seminar and hosted reception, (858) 292-9622 x105, www.ymca.org/events/seminar, $90
• Children’s storytime, 3 p.m., Athenaeum, 1008 Wall St. (858) 454-5872, www.ljathenaeum.org, free
• “The Art of Scott Jacobs,” 7:30 p.m., Warwick’s, 7812 Girard Ave., book signing with Scott Jacobs, (858) 454-0347, www.warwicks.com, free
• Josh Weinstein with Ray Au Yeung, 8 p.m., The Loft, 9500 Gilman Drive, www.artpwr.com, (858) 534-8497, free
THURSDAY, June 7
• La Jolla Community Planning Association meeting, 6 p.m., La Jolla Recreation Center, 615 Prospect St., (858) 456-7900, www.lajollacpa.org, free
• Patrick Watson, 9 p.m., The Loft, 9500 Gilman Drive, www.artpwr.com, (858) 534-8497, $12 general admission in advance, $15 general admission at the door, UCSD students free