Try a taste of eight local and international wines, hors d’oeuvres and music for “From Vines to Wines,” a fundraising wine tasting at the La Jolla Community Center at 5 p.m. on Aug. 24. The event will give community members the chance to join friends and loved ones for a summer evening tasting that will feature sips from La Jolla community leader Steve Haskins’ Paso Robles-based wines and tastes of Italy’s finest Rivevi Wines, with glasses, bottles and cases also available for purchase. Tickets to the event, including eight wine tastings and hors d’oeuvres, are $15 per person. The La Jolla Community Center is located at 6811 La Jolla Blvd. For more information or to purchase tickets visit www.ljcommunitycenter.org or call (858) 459-0831.
Although the heat wave might deceive you, the summer is, in fact, coming to an end. That, of course, means the annual End of Summer Fire Run/Walk will be taking off again. On Aug. 26 starting at 8 a.m., the San Diego Fire Rescue Foundation and Kathy Loper Events-sponsored four-mile downhill course will take participants along the best of San Diego’s coastline from La Jolla to Pacific Beach, ending with a party – including live music and a beer garden – at Pacific Beach Bar & Grill on Garnet Avenue. All runners will receive a colorful race t-shirt, goodie bag, tickets for two free, ice-cold beers and a complimentary shuttle ride back to La Jolla at the conclusion of the run.
Proceeds from the event benefit the San Diego Fire Rescue Foundation for much-needed equipment, technology and training required for effective first responders.
Registration is $46 per person before Aug. 24 and $48 per person after Aug. 24. Race day registration and packet pick-up will begin at 6:30 a.m. at Prospect and Fay streets. To register, visit www.sdfirerescue.org or call (619) 298-7400.
While many people travel far and wide to find those hidden treasures, Bird Rock Arts will bring shabby chic local with its monthly Shabby Chic Fair, taking place on Aug. 25 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the corner of La Jolla Boulevard and Camino de la Costa. The free fair will feature handcrafted jewelry, vintage clothing, paintings, furniture and other products. Early-morning guests can also enjoy French music and mimosas as they peruse the treasures. With great finds in a variety of price ranges, shoppers are sure to find some truly special gems at the fair. For more information, call (909) 965-1802 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Bird Rock Community Council invites Bird Rock community members to join their neighbors, local merchants and community leaders for an evening of fun, sun and good food amongst friends at the local organization’s annual summer picnic at Calumet Park. The picnic – catered by local favorite Beaumont’s Neighborhood Eatery – will give residents and merchants a chance to chat and make new friends amid a stunning backdrop of the setting sun. The community picnic will take place on Aug. 29 at 6 p.m. Adult plates are $12 per person and children’s plates are $8, with vegetarian dishes also available for purchase. For more information, visit www.birdrock.org.
THURSDAY, Aug. 23
• SummerFest Encounter, 12:30 p.m., Athenaeum, 1008 Wall St., (858) 454-5872, www.ljathenaeum.org, free
• Flicks on the Bricks: “Sabrina,” 7:30 p.m., Athenaeum, 1008 Wall St., film screening with wine, (858) 454-5872, www.ljathenaeum.org, $22 nonmembers, $17 members
• “Noteworthy: Past Choristers with Bright Futures,” 7:30 p.m., The Neurosciences Institute, 10640 John Jay Hopkins Drive, San Diego Children’s Choir concert, (858) 587-1087, www.sdchoir.org, $15 general admission, $10 seniors and students, family member of chorister $5
• World Jazz Under the Stars: Allison Adams Tucker Trio, 5:30 p.m., Tapenade, 7612 Fay Ave., international jazz, www.tapenaderestaurant.com, (858) 551-7500, free
• “Downtown Express,” 7:30 p.m., MCASD La Jolla, 700 Prospect St., West Coast premiere of director David Grubin’s new film, www.mcasd.org, (858) 454-3541, free
FRIDAY, Aug. 24
• “The Lost Prince,” 7 p.m., Warwick’s, 7812 Girard Ave., book discussion and signing with New York Times bestselling author Selden Edwards, (858) 454-0347, www.warwicks.com, free
• Women’s collage workshop, 6:30 p.m., Mary Mackey’s private studio, location provided upon RSVP, (858) 459-2148, free
• SummerFest Finale, 7:30 p.m., MCASD La Jolla, 700 Prospect St., (858) 459-3728, www.mcasd.org, $50-$75
• From Vines to Wines, 5 p.m., La Jolla Community Center, 6811 La Jolla Blvd., wine tasting and fundraiser featuring hors d’oeuvres, music and wines, RSVP at (858) 459-0831, $15
SATURDAY, Aug. 25
• “Transform Your Life” workshop, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., St. James by-the-Sea, 743 Prospect St., Suresh Ramaswamy discusses approaches to growth and change from a big picture spiritual perspective, (858) 459-3421, email@example.com, free
• “Equine 3 Day Exhibit,” 6 p.m., Salazar La Jolla, 1162 Prospect St., celebrate polo and Del Mar racing season and support the Saving America’s Mustangs organization, (858) 551-8453, www.alexander salazarfineart.com, free
• Fall Fest, 8:30 p.m. to midnight, Lawrence Family Jewish Community Center, 4126 Executive Drive, teen dance event, (858) 362-1331, www.ljfcc.org/teens, $18 JCC members, $20 nonmembers
• Weekend with the Locals: Walter Carlin, noon, Warwick’s, 7812 Girard Ave., meet the author of Beelzebub O’Brien, K Street Warrior, (858) 454-0347, www.warwicks.com, free
SUNDAY, Aug. 26
• Yom Limmud, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Lawrence Family Jewish Community Center, 4126 Executive Drive, 17 lectures with notable scholars, including Ambassador Dennis Ross, (858) 362-1348, www.sdcjc.org-/yomlimmud, $32 JCC members, $38 nonmembers, $14 JCC teen members, $18 teen nonmembers
• La Jolla Open Aire Market, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., La Jolla Elementary School, 1111 Marine St., (858) 454-1699, www.lajollamarket.com, free
• Notre Temps String Ensemble, 2 p.m., The Neurosciences Institute, 10640 John Jay Hopkins Drive, (619) 876-1323, www.nsi.edu, suggested $10 donation
MONDAY, Aug. 27
• Laughter Yoga, 11 a.m., La Jolla Community Center, 6811 La Jolla Blvd., www.ljcommunitycenter.org, (858) 459-0831, free
TUESDAY, Aug. 28
• An Evening with Warwick’s Booksellers, 6:30 p.m., Warwick’s, 7812 Girard Ave., booksellers’ book recommendations, (858) 454-0347, www.warwicks.com, free
WEDNESDAY, Aug. 29
• Children’s storytime, 3 p.m., Athenaeum, 1008 Wall St., (858) 454-5872, www.ljathenaeum.org, free
• Bird Rock Community Picnic, 6 p.m., Calumet Park, catered by Beaumont’s with $12 plates for adults, $8 for children
THURSDAY, Aug. 30
• The A List Members’ Choice: “Swing Vote,” 7 p.m., Athenaeum, 1008 Wall St., music and art mixer, (858) 454-5872, www.ljathenaeum-.org/alist, $12 nonmembers, A List members free
• alt.pictureshows.2012, 7 p.m., MCASD La Jolla, 700 Prospect St., short-film showcase, (858) 454-3541, www.mcasd.org, $5 general admission, MCASD members free
• Full Moon Pier Walk, 6 p.m., Birch Aquarium, 2300 Expedition Way, an exclusive moonlit tour, RSVP required, (858) 534-7336, aquarium.ucsd.edu, $25 general admission, $22 members