Merchants and members of the community were honored for their volunteerism, creative promotions of their business and best use of the storefront improvement program, among other recognitions.
In total, 26 awards were given to a group of 32 people.
In addition to the awards ceremony, OBMA committees were recognized for their work throughout the year. Highlights included launching the business development series to support local merchants and implementing a 125th anniversary rebrand for OBMA.
“This year’s awards are also a celebration of a huge milestone, our 125th anniversary as a community,” said Denny Knox, OBMA executive director. “Local businesses worked to support the anniversary celebration and our special events throughout the year, so these awards are really an acknowledgement to those people who have gone above and beyond to make our 125th anniversary shine.”
Award categories include promotion, design, economic restructuring, crime prevention and organization. Awards were presented by the chairs of the various OBMA committees.
The winners were:
PROMOTION COMMITTEE AWARDS
• Best Event Music Support and Promotion: Michael Head
• Best Storefront Display: Miss Match
• Best Fundraising Promotion: Pizza Port & South Coast Surf Shop
• Best Multi-Business Event Development: Session’s Public
• Most Creative Use of Business Promotions: Shades
• Best Use of Space: The Lazy Hummingbird
• Best Special Events Promotion: Vignette’s
DESIGN COMMITTEE AWARDS
• Best Use of the Storefront Improvement Program: Kecho’s Café
• Best Use of Art: Last Days Tattoo
• Best Redesign Implementation: Newport Farms Market
• Best Restaurant Business Expansion: Ortega’s
• Best Use of Sustainable Materials: Raglan Public House
• Best Retail Renovation and Design: Wahine’s
ECONOMIC RESTRUCTURING COMMITTEE
• Best Branding Campaign: Ashley Lewis (Dog Beach Design)
• Innovative Business Model: Newport Quick Stop
• Respect OB Award: Julie Klein, Mary Orem, Noah Tafolla and Andy Taubam
• Best PROW Enhancements: To the Point
CRIME PREVENTION COMMITTEE
• Community Partnership Award — Community Ambassador: Mercier Guignard (San Diego Park and Recreation Department)
• Community Partnership Award — Venue Host: Point Loma Masonic Center
• Community Partnership Award — Community Volunteerism Award: Sunset Cliffs Surfing Association
• Community Partnership Award — Major Contributor: Union Bank
• Guardians of Dogs: Dog Beach Dog Wash
• 125 Year Anniversary Celebration — Heritage Award: Mary Bishop and Molly Allen
• Volunteer Service to the OBMA: Mark Schlesinger
• Special Recognition Award: Mike Berrill
• 125 Year Anniversary Celebration — Community Partnership Award: Ocean Beach Historical Society
• 125 Year Anniversary Celebration — Community Partnership Award: Peninsula Beacon/San Diego Community Newspaper Group
Guests kicked off the night by citing The OB Pledge of Allegiance. Mayor Jerry Sanders, county Supervisor Ron Roberts and District 2 City Councilman Kevin Faulconer were in attendance and recognized the OBMA for its community spirit and special events.
As a special sendoff to the outgoing Sanders as mayor, the OBMA recognized him with the 2012 Many Thanks Award.
“All politics aside, Mayor Sanders is a friend to Ocean Beach and we will miss him when he’s gone,” said Knox.
For more information on the Ocean Beach MainStreet Association, visit www.oceanbeachsandiego.com.