• Phyllis Minick attended the first meeting of the city’s new Infrastructure Committee on Jan. 28 on behalf of La Jolla Parks and Beaches only to learn there will be no available money in the city’s coffers in the near future to fund projects like the beautification of Coast Walk.
“I will continue with the grant proposal writing project, but it looks like I will not look forward immediately to help from the city,” she said.
• Cath DeStefano, San Diego Diplomacy Council’s retired executive director, presented information about the nearly 35-year-old nonprofit, which is dedicated to bringing emerging international leaders from more than 145 countries around the world to San Diego for professional exchanges with top local leaders.
“Our mission is to being the world to San Diego,” said DeStefano. “It’s one of the things that’s definitely working for our government. I think we’re in the peace business, and we believe in face-to-face exchanges.”
For more information about the San Diego Diplomacy Council, visit www.sandiegodiplomacy.org or call (619) 291-8105.
• The SDPD Northern Division storefront repair project is still in need of monetary donations for a new HVAC system for the substation.
“The Navy has gone in and updated the electrical to current standards. They are replacing the windows that are broken and putting in new bars and window coverings,” said LJTC trustee Nancy Gardner. “The rest is up to us.”
Checks made payable to the San Diego Police Officer’s Association are tax deductible. For more information about the project or to donate, contact Gardner at email@example.com or (858) 456-3000.
• Construction in Bird Rock to replace malfunctioning pedestrian crosswalk lights at Colima and Midway streets’ intersections with La Jolla Boulevard will take place until April 5. Construction will take place between the hours of 9 p.m. and 5 a.m.
• As part of UCSD’s 50th anniversary, the university launched its Volunteer50 website, intended to encourage volunteer service by providing volunteers with a platform to search and track volunteer opportunities in their area. For more information or to sign up, visit volunteer50.ucsd.edu.