Peninsula Singers will soon spread music even further with a European tour, singing in Prague, Salzburg, Vienna and Munich, sharing American music at such venues as Neuschwanstein Castle and Melk Abbey.
“Organizing a trip for 80 singers is no mean feat,” said board president Vanessa Dinning. “We’re working with an incredible company, Encore Tours, who take care of all the logistics for us. They book the hotels and flights and work with local concert managers to ensure we sing in great venues and to packed houses. We’re excited to take San Diego and share it overseas.”
Peninsula Singers’ European concert repertoire will include works by George M. Cohan, Irving Berlin, Rodgers and Hammerstein, Aaron Copland, John Denver and The Beach Boys, among others.
Having already raised $4,500 last September with its first event, “Shakespeare in the Garden,” this chorus is off to a great start.
John Lown, former board president and head of the Europe Team, outlined the next round of fundraising plans:
• Silent auction — Bidding opens on Monday, May 20 at 9 a.m. The winners will be announced at a Friends of the Library Concert on Wednesday, May 22.
The link for the silent auction can be found on Peninsula Singers’ website: www.peninsulasingerssandiego.org/silentauction.
• Concert series — Peninsula Singers is a community-minded group. As members strive to raise funds for the Europe tour, it wants to also give back to its supporters.
Peninsula Pops! is a series of 12 one-hour concerts at The North Chapel at Liberty Station.
The season kicks off Wednesday,
May 29 at 7p.m. featuring new compositions by Point Loma Nazarene University’s composition music majors, performed by their student peers.
Peninsula Singers will host this concert series in conjunction with NTC Liberty Station. The concert will include classical piano, string trios, opera, woodwind and choral, as well as new never-before-heard compositions.
Musicians from San Diego Opera and Symphony are featured among the line-up.
To purchase tickets, visit peninsulasingerssandiego.org/concerts.php.
This includes the choir’s own performances and Peninsula Pops! concert series.
• Wednesday, May 22, 7 p.m., free, Point Loma/Hervey Branch Library,
3701 Voltaire St.
• Friday, June 7 at 7 p.m., general admission $12, children 12 and under free at The North Chapel, 2881 Roosevelt Road
• Peninsula Pops! — Starting May 29, general admission $15, students, military, seniors $12. Discounts available with a multi-concert subscription.