Writing Center and ACES: We have expanded our after-school Writing Center, and introducing the new MBHS ACES program. ACES, or After-school Center for Excellence and Support, will provide consistent academic support and will be open Monday through Thursday in the Mission Bay Library from 2:15 to 4:15 p.m. providing assistance in English, history, math, science and special populations, including English language learners, special education, IB and art and access to technology resources. ACES will provide an array of holistic services, including social-emotional support, college readiness and self-advocacy through leadership-building seminars, workshops on health-related topics and access to school counselors. For more information, contact Mr. Lancia in room 342.
Pacific Beach Middle School
• PBMS Music Department annual rummage sale takes place on Saturday, Oct. 26, 8 a.m. to noon in the Felspar Street parking lot. Find great deals while supporting the award-winning music program at PBMS.
• PBMS Tour: Nov. 7, 8 to 10:30 a.m. Learn about the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme and the transformation of PBMS into the progressive and academically exceptional school that it is today. Check in at the office and you will be directed to the Pacific Beach Middle Library Media Center. Parking is available in the Felspar Street parking lot. For more information, contact Jennifer Sims, email@example.com or call (858) 273-9070.
Crown Point Junior Music Academy
• Trunk or Treat will take place on Friday, Oct. 25 from 5 to 7:30 p.m. Come dressed up in your favorite Halloween customs and walk the blacktop from car to car while trunk or treating. There will be games, best costume competition and the best decorated trunk contest.
• Red Ribbon Week will start on Oct. 28. Students will participate in daily activities and lessons that will teach them about making smart choices in their lives.
Kate Sessions Elementary School
• Thank you to Dr. Leigh Plesniak and San Diego Family Science for a fun and hands-on night of science investigating. San Diego Family Science’s mission is to foster curiosity about the science we witness in everyday life, to start conversations at home and establish a foundation of concepts that will kids will revisit throughout their scholastic lives. sdfamilyscience.blogspot.com
• Kick off the holidays at the beach with the Kate Sessions PTO craft fair on Saturday, Nov. 16 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Find unique, handmade items and holiday gifts from over 90 local artisans. Items include knitted goods, jewelry, glass art, ceramics, accessories, candles, bath goods, stationary, holiday decorations and stocking stuffers. Local entertainment will be hosted on the main stage. Grab some yummy treats from the fifth-grade bake sale or have lunch served from a gourmet food truck. The event is free and open to the public. If you’d like to be a vendor, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pacific Beach Elementary School
On Friday, Oct. 11, PBE students ate some delicious apples grown in the PBE school garden. The kids returned for seconds and even thirds, eating every single slice. Thank you to our wonderful garden volunteers for providing this truly locally grown treat.
Upcoming dates to remember:
Oct. 28-Nov. 1: Red Ribbon Week
Nov. 4: SSC/GSC meeting in the library 2:30 p.m.
Nov. 5: Picture make up day
Nov. 6: FOPBE meeting 6 p.m. in Room 9, childcare provided for school-age children
• Don’t forget to donate to the Penguin Pride Contribution Drive. Go to www.fopbe.org and click on donate. Tax-deductible donations help us fund many wonderful programs.
Mission Bay Cluster News
The next Mission Bay Cluster meeting takes place on Nov. 7 at 6 p.m. at Sessions Elementary in the auditorium. We will be discussing Mission Statement, assessment alternatives and marketing progress. Scott Barnett and Julie Martel will inform us on the state of the district.
Pacific Beach Neighborhood Schools Fair
Save the date for the Pacific Beach Neighborhood Schools Fair on Saturday, Nov. 2 from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on the Mission Bay High School campus. Pacific Beach schools have made great changes in recent years. now offering a wide variety of program choices, including International Baccalaureate Programme, a Mandarin-immersion magnet and a Junior Music Academy magnet. Join local families and discover the opportunities offered in our schools. Listen to students play music, enjoy delicious food and play games. School principals and staff will be presenting information and answering questions.
Mission Bay High School Alumni Association
It is the goal of the MBHSAA to help fill the “funding gap” with the needs of the school and help Mission Bay High School achieve the highest level of academic excellence. A few of the MBHSAA recent accomplishments include: bass fish tanks for Marine Biology Department; fans for new Charger Weight Room; historic logo murals; Teacher Appreciation Week; and the Alumni Excellence Lecture Series featuring Dr. Richard Schrock, the 1963 Nobel Prize recipient in chemistry. The MBHSAA has been successful in collecting thousands of alumni names and contact information through the help of volunteers and the establishment of its popular website, www.missionbayhighalumni.com, and Facebook page, www.facebook.com/groups/mbhs.almuni.
The MBHSAA also hosts the Seaside Farmer’s Market every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the MBHS student parking lot with 100 percent of the proceeds benefiting MBHS.