• Each year the California League of Schools honors a few outstanding educators who have been nominated by their principal as Educator of the Year. Tracy Borg, Mission Bay High School IB psychology teacher, was selected as one of four high school educators of the year for San Diego Region 9 and honored at the annual dinner and awards ceremony on Jan. 23.
• For those interested in attending MBHS in 2014-15, applications are being accepted online or at the district office. The enrollment period runs through Feb. 15. Visit the enrollment options web page for the application and other materials.
Pacific Beach Middle School
• PBMS tour — Thursday, Feb. 6, 8 to 10:30 a.m. in the upstairs media center. Check in at the front office. Visit sandi.net/pbmiddle for more campus tour information. Families in the 92109 ZIP code always have enrollment priority. For more information, contact Jennifer Sims at email@example.com or call (858) 273-9070, ext. 2357.
• PB families from the middle and elementary schools attended the PBMS International Baccalaureate’s annual math, science and design night on Jan. 21. Through the award-winning partnership with Sea World and HUBBS, children learned about conservation efforts and one lucky winner went home with a new surfboard from Rerip.com. This year, the event included a pre-engineering focus on design. Design activities at the event included a tower-building exercise, a tangram activity and the introduction of the IB Design Cycle.
Kate Sessions Elementary
• The Kate Sessions annual art show was held on Jan. 23. Art teacher Laura Haight celebrated students by showcasing framed student artwork, while music teacher Mark Lamson created a family drum circle. Dancers with Paloma Aragon Art Flamenco graced the stage with drama and flare. As part of the annual fund raising event, parents were able to purchase their child’s framed artwork, visit with friends and neighbors, and dine on local cuisine.
• The school thanks the platinum auction sponsor Ocean Park Inn and the gold auction sponsors PB Fish Shop, Duck Dive and Shore Club. Their donations to Friends of Kate Sessions will help fund art, music, Spanish and library programs at the school. Thanks also go to Rubios on Grand Avenue for a great dine out in January.
Pacific Beach Elementary
• School tour — Thursday, Feb. 13, 8 a.m. Check in at the front office.
• Tickets for the Taste of North PB Art & Restaurant Walk can be purchased in the PBE front office.
Friends of Pacific Beach Secondary Schools (FOPBSS)
• The Taste of North PB Art & Restaurant Walk is right around the corner, taking place on Wednesday, March 12 from 5 to 8 p.m. Tickets are $20 for adults and $10 for kids (5-10 years) and can be purchased at PBE, PBMS and MBHS. The walk features more than 18 restaurants, displays of artwork by local students and music by the MBHS Preservationists, PBE musicians and local duet Mad Colony.
• Save the date: April 26 is the School Yard Dash 5K Run. Lend your time and expertise to organize the event. Your sponsorship or contribution will help to provide enriching programs and supplies to our schools and is 100 percent tax deductible. Contact Kim Schoettle at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Mission Bay Cluster
The next Mission Bay Cluster meeting will be Thursday, Feb. 6 at 6 p.m. at Mission Bay High School in the library. Come for updates on the Common Calendar, Common Core implementation, MBHS stadium and PBMS/YMCA updates. We will also be discussing cluster goals in relation to the LCFF (Local Control Funding Formula).
Mission Bay High School Alumni Association
The Seaside Farmers Market will host a rummage sale on Saturday, Feb.15. Clean out your garage and closets and bring your items to the sale. Spots to sell your items are $10 per spot, and 100 percent of the profits will benefit MBHS. To reserve your spot(s), email Cori Meara at email@example.com.