MBHS IB Music Program is in the middle of our March fundraising campaign. The goal this year is to take our top music ensemble, The Preservationists, on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to New Orleans -- the birth place of jazz. With your help, the only traditional youth jazz band in Southern California can make history. We want to give back to those who can make this a reality with some great prizes. For more details or to donate, visit missionbaymusic-donate.crowdtilt.com/send-the-preservationists-to-new-orleans. Meanwhile, the MBHS IB music program will end its fundraising campaign with a crescendo. Sue Palmer -- “Queen of Boogie Woogie” -- will be joining us at Tango Del Rey in Pacific Beach on March 26 at 7 p.m. for a swingin’ time. Tickets are $10 for general admission and $5 for students. All ages welcome. Find more and join our mailing list at www.missionbaymusic.com.
PACIFIC BEACH MIDDLE SCHOOL
- “May Peace Prevail on Earth” is the theme of this year’s community open house on March 27 at PBMS IB World School. Join leaders from local government, the San Diego Unified School District and Rotary International as PBMS and their Partner in Education (Mission Bay Rotary), unveil and dedicate an international peace pole in the PBMS Waves of Green student garden. The peace pole dedication is from 5:30 to 6 p.m. and families are invited to stay and visit IB classrooms and the “We have a HEART gallery” from 6 to 7:30 p.m. To see our IB in action, like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pbmiddle or visit www.sandi.net/pbmiddle.
- The Builders Club will don their pajamas to take over the Mission Bay Kiwanis meeting on March 20 at the Broken Yolk. Student president Taylor K. and board members Juan T., Jonea T. and Sydney J. from PBMS will lead the meeting.
CROWN POINT JMA
Crown Point Junior Music Academy will host an auction on Saturday, March 22 from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Mission Bay Yacht Club, 1215 El Carmel Place. Tickets are on sale now in the school office at $15 per person or $25 per couple. Dinner and entertainment is included. Auction items include a San Diego Padres Suite for 20 people, a one-year platinum membership to Chuze Fitness, a Taylor guitar, a Big Bear cabin weekend, a sailboat cruise for eight, a Hornblower Cruise and a family portrait session from Del Mar Photographics. Pacific Beach area items were donated from Ichiban Restaurant, Great News Cooking School, The Patio Restaurant and Pacific Terrace Hotel.
PACIFIC BEACH ELEMENTARY
- Thank you to Big Kahuna’s for hosting a wonderful Family Fun Night Fundraiser on Feb. 27. We enjoyed a great night out!
- Buy your tickets now for our Mardi Gras Gala & Auction on April 25. The event will be held at the Soledad Club. The Euphoria Brass Band will be performing its 2nd Line Parade, along with traditional and contemporary New Orleans style music. Tickets can be purchased in the front office. Bid on exciting items in the live auction like a week’s stay in Big Bear and a week’s stay in beautiful Paso Robles. If you did not get your fill of Mardi Gras last month, here is your chance to celebrate it again.
- The school garden has just received Garden To Cafe (G2C) certification. Our students are germinating seeds in our new greenhouse, planting starts in our beautiful raised beds and harvesting the edibles for lunch in the cafeteria. Each class has dedicated space in our nearly 5,000-square-foot “outdoor classroom.” Thank you to Lowe’s for the Toolbox For Education grant and to RCP Block and Brick for the great advice.
KATE SESSIONS ELEMENTARY
Please join us for the Friends of Kate Sessions Auction Event on Friday, March 21 from 6 to 10 p.m. at the Soledad Club. The evening will include food, live music, a silent and a live auction. Every dollar earned supports the students and programs at Kate Sessions Elementary. Tickets are $20. To purchase tickets online, visit www.sandi.net/sessions.
FRIENDS OF PACIFIC BEACH SECONDARY SCHOOLS (FOPBSS)
- March 26: FOPBSS meeting at 6 p.m. at Pacific Beach Middle School.
- Register for the School Yard Dash 5K Run on April 26. Our largest fundraiser is the School Yard Dash 5K Run on April 26 and now is the time to set up your teams! Let’s see who will win the competition between PBMS and MBHS for team spirit. Join the team “The Mighty Bucs” and show your support, or set up your own team. The morning will be a fun-filled event with a kids’ fun run, a walk, a 5K run, a delicious brunch and a vendor village. Students pay only $20 until the day of the event. All proceeds benefit MBHS and PBMS enrichment programs. Register now at www.schoolyarddash.org.
MBHS ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
Thank you Cori Meara and the entire MBHS Alumni Association for all of your wonderful donations to MBHS due to your work with the Seaside Farmers Market. The market will truly be missed, as well as the camaraderie of seeing all our friends on Saturdays as we shopped.