• La Jolla Country Day School campus tour, 9 a.m. to noon. Take a tour of one of the renowned private schools courtesy of the school’s Office of Admission. (858) 453-3440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 22
• Author signing: Warwick’s Books and UCSD bookstores present Chuck Palahniuk with presigned copies of his book “Burnt Tongues: an Anthology of Transgressive Stories,” 7 p.m., 9500 Gilman Dr., Mandeville Auditorium at UCSD. Prizes, games, a sure-to-shock story and audience Q&A, $30 tickets include a presigned book. warwicks.com.
THURSDAY, Oct. 23
• ArtPower! Presents: Minguet Quartet, 8 to 10:30 p.m., Conrad Prebys Music Center,UCSD campus, 9500 Gilman Dr. One of Europe's most sought-after quartets, the Minguet Quartet takes its name from Pablo Minguet, an 18th-century Spanish philosopher who tried in his writings to make the fine arts accessible to the masses. The quartet aspires to the same through chamber music. $12 UCSD students, $36 general. Email email@example.com.
FRIDAY, Oct. 24
• Haunted Birch Aquarium: Shipwrecked, 6 to 9 p.m., 2300 Expedition Way. Discover what lurks beneath the surface, enjoying close encounters of the fishy kind. BOO-gie down with Billy Lee and the Swamp Critters and explore our wreckage for sunken treasures. Wander the aquarium’s galleys for tricky treats and discover a sea of glowing creatures while having a monstrous good time. Dress to impress, show up in a family-friendly costume to win a prize. $12 members, $15 nonmembers presale; $17 at door; free for children aged 2 and under. firstname.lastname@example.org.
SATURDAY, Oct. 25
• Halloween Festival, 1 to 4 p.m., La Jolla Rec Center, 615 Prospect St. Annual costume judging contest for kids of all ages. Activities will also include face painting, balloon art, carnival games, arts and crafts, a cake walk, pony rides and a snack bar. 25 cents. (858) 552-1658.
SUNDAY, Oct. 26
• La Jolla Open Aire Market, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., La Jolla Elementary School, corner of Girard Avenue and Genter Street. Weekly farmers market offers local produce and arts and crafts by local artisans plus a food court and live entertainment. lajollamarket.com.
MONDAY, Oct. 27
• Stroller Strides, exercise for moms, 9:30 to 10:45 a.m., La Jolla Shores, 8220 Camino Del Oro, meet on the grass in front of the playground. Call (760) 410-8497.
TUESDAY, Oct. 28
• Seminar, “Conceptual Art: from Object to Idea,” 5 to 6 p.m., Museum of Contemporary Art La Jolla, 700 Prospect St. Join us every Tuesday between Oct. 28 and Nov. 18 to take a close look at the major movements that have defined the art of our time. These four seminar courses are led by chief curator Kathryn Kanjo, associate curator Jill Dawsey, assistant curator Elizabeth Rooklidge and museum CEO Hugh Davies. $15 for members, $20 for non. The cost to attend all four sessions is $45 for members, $60 for non. mcasd.org.
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 29
• 25th San Diego Jewish Film Festival presents “Comedy Warriors: Healing Through Humor,” 7 p.m., David & Dorothea Garfield Theatre, Jewish Community Center, 4126 Executive Drive. Don’t miss this touching, funny and often challenging documentary film featuring five severely wounded veterans who embark on a new and arduous journey from injury to health through comedy, with help from of the best in the business. $15.25, $13.25 for center members. (858) 457-3030.
THURSDAY, Oct. 30
• Halloween Story Time, 10:30-11:30 a.m., La Jolla Library, 7555 Draper Ave. Join Ms. Teri & Mr. Bill for a free, spooky, fun storytime; afterward, kids can trick-or-treat in the library thanks to the Friends of the La Jolla Library. sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/branchlist.shtml.
FRIDAY, HALLOWEEN, Oct. 31
• Pillage the Village, 3 to 6 p.m., annual fun trick or treating for families throughout La Jolla’s downtown Village. Each participating merchant will be designated by orange and black balloons outside storefronts. Dress in your best costume and watch for witches casting spells. Sponsored by the La Jolla Village Merchants Association, REBA: the La Jolla Real Estate Brokers Association and the La Jolla chapter of Kiwanis. lajollabythesea.com.