• THE ROOM DOWNSTAIRS: Friday, Aug. 8 at the TYPHOON SALOON, 1165 Garnet Ave. 9 p.m. 21 and up. No cover. www.typhoonsaloon.com.
Once upon a time, the Catamaran Hotel was one of San Diego’s key concert locations, with a great jazz lineup and bands like The Knack taking the stage. These days, music there is a much more low-key affair, with Hawaiian tunes during luau season and acoustic music to add to the dining options. However, there is still real talent to be found there, like singer-songwriter Casey Turner, who performs on Aug. 9. A Pacific Beach resident, Turner has been receiving significant radio play on the West Coast, with an impressive tour circuit that sees him reach from Hawaii to Northern California on a regular basis. Turner’s set here will feature classic covers — a nice way to kick off a Saturday night.
• CASEY TURNER: Saturday, Aug. 9 at THE CATAMARAN HOTEL, 3999 Mission Boulevard. 9 p.m. 21 and up. www.cata-maranresort.com.
A little bit of Louisiana comes to Pacific Beach on Aug. 10 when Theo and the Zydeco Patrol perform at the free Pacific Beach Concerts on the Green Series. Mixing bits of blues, R&B, Cajun sounds and plenty of irresistible rhythm, the Zydeco Patrol is an instant dance party — the perfect band to listen to with your feet in the grass and a sunny San Diego sky overhead. The band has a solid album available, “Wine, Wine Wine.” But why settle for listening to music at home when you can experience the fun in person at this terrific community event?
• THEO AND THE ZYDECO PATROL: Sunday, Aug. 10 at CONCERTS ON THE GREEN, Kate Sessions Park. 4 p.m. All ages. Free. www.pbconcerts.org.
It’s been six years since Tori Roze and her band, The Hot Mess, made its debut. It has made an impact. Multiple San Diego Music Award nominees, the band’s soulful mix of R&B and rock sounds have made it a standout on the local music scene. Appearing at the Kona Kai’s Vessel’s Lounge on Aug. 16, Roze will make a rare appearance in duo mode, with Hot Mess guitarists accompanying her. Roze has a wonderful voice, full of bluesy passion. This intimate performance at the Kona Kai’s oceanside venue is a great place to experience her music.
• TORI ROZE AND JOHNNY ALEXANDER: Saturday, Aug. 16, 6 p.m. at the KONA KAI RESORT, 1551 Shelter Island Drive. www.resortkonakai.com.
Melodic hard rockers Arson Academy perform at the 710 Beach Club on Aug. 16. The quintet isn’t forging new ground, but its songs have all the right elements, plenty of hooks and plenty of energy, as heard on tracks such as “Dizzy Spell.” It has made several recordings, with a collection of holiday favorites particularly recommended, but this live show should be an excellent showcase for the band. The bill also includes opening bands Playfight and Moonshine. Major kudos to the 710 Beach Club for being one of the only places near the beach to spotlight original music.
• ARSON ACADEMY: Saturday, Aug. 16 at the 710 BEACH CLUB, 710 Garnet Ave. 9 p.m. 21 and up. www.710bc.com.