- Are you interested in what makes PBMS great? Join a tour of PBMS on Thursday, Oct. 1, 8 a.m., in the media center. Meet principal Kimberly Meng and IB coordinator Jenny Sims and learn about the International Baccalaureate Program.
- The Pacific Beach Elementary sponsorship drive has kicked off, and we are looking for local businesses and families who are interested in connecting with the school. All donations go directly to PBE programs like arts attack, YMCA PE program, music classes and more. Contact FOPBE (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to find out more about donations and sponsorship opportunities for your business or places of employment.
- Volunteering is a great way to be involved. If you missed the volunteer meeting, it is not too late. Contact Penny Lobato in the office for forms and FOPBE for ways to get involved.
- Upcoming events by Crown Point Junior Music Academy musicians: Recorder Ensemble and Violins will perform at the Police and Emergency Services Appreciation Night on Wednesday, Sept. 30 from 4 to 7:30 p.m. Music Club will perform at BeachFest on Saturday, Oct. 3 from11 to 11:30 a.m.
- Friends of Kate Sessions Elementary School is seeking sponsors for its "Handmade in San Diego" event. Contact Katesessionscraftfair@gmail.com for details.
Mission Bay Cluster
- Mission Bay Cluster chair Jennifer Tandy spoke before the Board of Education about the heat conditions in the classrooms. She presented results of an informal temperature survey of PB classrooms and requested 1) a formal temperature study of the Mission Bay Cluster of schools – in regular occupied classrooms where the coastal projected temperatures are more than 80 degrees; 2) a reduction in the temperature thresholds for closing/minimizing school days; and 3) that district funds be available to schools sites on an emergency basis for the implementation of site-specific cooling strategies. The meeting was productive, and the MB Cluster looks forward to continued discussions with the SDUSD on this critical health and safety issue.
- The next Mission Bay Cluster meeting is on Thursday, Oct. 8, 6 p.m., at the PBMS library.
- Visit the booths of PB schools at Pacific BeachFest on Saturday, Oct. 3 on the boardwalk in Pacific Beach. Students from schools will have games, activities, and musical performances.
St. Paul's Lutheran
- St. Paul's Lutheran School's fifth annual Health and Fitness Month takes place September through October. This year's theme highlights the Olympic Games where each week students will focus on different healthful habits: sportsmanship, sleep, sweets and screen-time.
The month will kickoff with a special assembly and guest speaker from Christian Surfers International, as well as their annual jog-a-thon fundraiser later in the month.
Sponsors for the jog-a-thon include Organic Annie's, Thrivent Financial and Chic-fil-A. Closing ceremonies will highlight a special guest speaker from the Olympic Training Center.
For more information or to sponsor the event, contact the school at (858) 272-6282 or visit stpaulspb.com.