- MBHS homecoming is 6 p.m. Friday, Oct. 16. Enjoy the homecoming festivities and watch the MBHS Buccaneer varsity football team take on Scripps Ranch High School.
Pacific Beach Middle
- Forrest Wells, a local Pacific Beach resident and member of the Pacific Beach Beach Waves Mountain Bike Club, won the Rim Nordic Autumn Cup Cross Country Junior Beginner Men's class, held at Rim Nordic Bike Park in Snow Valley, on Sept. 20. Wells is a 13-year-old student at Pacific Beach Middle. Any sixth, seventh, or eighth grader is welcome to join the PB Waves, which meets weekly at PBMS. Cyclists will be competing with other schools, learn bike safety and maintenance and perform volunteer trail repair.
- Following a phenomenal celebration of the Moon Festival at the Organ Pavilion at Balboa Park, China’s Xiamen University Art Troup performed at PB Middle alongside PB Middle Mandarin Chinese students Leah Markworth and Piatt Pund. Dignitaries from Xiamen University and from Confucius Institute at Sam Diego State University attended the event with board trustee Michael McQuary, Anne Rosser from Kiwanis, sixth graders, ASB students, and parents and students in PB Middle’s Mandarin Chinese language program.
- Crown Point Junior Music Academy's Strings Ensemble played at Police and Emergency Services Appreciation Night and met Speaker Toni Atkins, Councilman Todd Gloria, SDUSD board member Mike McQuary, and members of law enforcement and emergency responders.
n The Friends of Kate Sessions Elementary School PTO would like to thank Zach and the Mission Bay Sportcenter for donating equipment for our annual Kate Sessions Day on the Bay. A great time was had by all!
- Friends of Pacific Beach Elementary (FOPBE) meeting is 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 14 in the library. Meet other parents, learn about volunteer opportunities and join in on the conversation at the next FOPBE meeting.
Mission Bay Cluster
- Friday Night Lights! Calling everyone throughout the Pacific Beach family of schools to come out Friday, Oct. 9, to cheer on the Mission Bay High Buccaneers varsity football team as they battle the La Jolla High Vikings beginning at 6 p.m. at the new Mission Bay High School Stadium. Mission Bay Cluster is honoring all elementary and middle school students by coining the event “Future Bucs Night.” Bring the whole family.
- Mission Bay Cluster meeting is 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 8 at Pacific Beach Middle School. Find out what's new and exciting about Pacific Beach public schools at the Mission Bay Cluster meeting.
MBHS Alumni Association
- Calling all Bucs. The Mission Bay High School Alumni Association will be hosting its annual All-Alumni Homecoming Celebration 6 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 16. There will be designated alumni seating in the first two sections of the bleachers with paid admission to the game. MBHS alumni will be kicking off Phase 2 of the popular stadium brick fundraiser and offering grilled tacos for purchase thanks to a generous donation from the PB Shore Club. The no-host post-homecoming game festivities will continue at the Duck Dive, 4650 Mission Blvd.
- Join friends and neighbors at PB Local, at 809 Thomas Ave., for a pancake social benefiting Friends of Pacific Beach Secondary Schools at 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 17. Listen to music by Millionaire Beach Bums and enter a raffle with fantastic prizes. The kids-only pancake breakfast is $5 and includes kids drinks.
Adults can enjoy a full brunch menu with 10 percent of sale donated to FOPBSS.
St. Paul's Lutheran
- Seven eighth-grade students from St. Paul's Lutheran School will be traveling to China for a 10-day mission trip. The group will go on a whirlwind tour of Hong Kong, bike for five days through rural small towns and villages in the Guangdong Province and visit the homes of Chinese students who we sponsor for school.
- The next leg of the trip includes a plane ride to the capitol city of Beijing, where they will visit the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square and the Great Wall. The team will also visit and spend time playing with the children at Shepherd's Field Children's Village, an orphanage for children with physical challenges.
- Donations are being collected to offer gifts to the children at Shepherd's Village. Donations may be placed in the offering or sent to the church office and marked "China Mission." Contact Steve Schedler at email@example.com with any questions.