Fire damages home near Sunset Cliffs
by SCOTT HOPKINS
Published - 02/13/17 - 01:29 PM | 0 0 comments | 28 28 recommendations | email to a friend | print
San Diego firefighters store a ladder after fighting an electrical fire last Friday on Devonshire Drive in the Sunset Cliffs area. The home, at rear, sustained $350,000 in damages. / Photo by Scott Hopkins
San Diego firefighters store a ladder after fighting an electrical fire last Friday on Devonshire Drive in the Sunset Cliffs area. The home, at rear, sustained $350,000 in damages. / Photo by Scott Hopkins
slideshow
A Sunset Cliffs-area home sustained heavy damage in a fire last Friday morning.

Fortunately, two roommates were able to escape unharmed after they heard a smoke alarm sounded. A cat also escaped unharmed. The homeowner returned from work when he was informed of the situation.

The two-story home at 1224 Devonshire Drive was uninhabitable after the blaze left most of the interior either charred or covered in soot, according to Mónica Muñoz, spokeswoman for San Diego Fire Department.

Muñoz said damage to the home was estimated at $250,000 plus $100,000 in contents.

The 7:59 a.m. alarm resulted in a San Diego Fire Department response of six fire engines, three fire trucks, two battalion chiefs, fire investigators and a light and air truck that carries dozens of oxygen tanks to resupply firefighters. Streets near the home were closed for nearly three hours during the incident.

First firefighters on the scene noticed heavy black smoke rising from the home and that an attached garage was also in flames, Muñoz said.

Firefighters had most of the fire under control in 20 minutes.

An aerial ladder was raised to allow access to the roof of the structure, but firefighters retreated after noticing the roof was sagging, Muñoz added.

Investigators determined the fire was accidental, sparked by an electrical issue in a room at the rear of the house, according to Muñoz.

The heavy smoke and sirens attracted numerous onlookers, some of whom stayed until firefighters left the scene nearly three hours after their arrival.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Trending