- Get your act together! The MBHS annual talent show takes place 6:30 p.m. Friday, April 7 in the auditorium. With celebrity judges, delicious refreshments, and a few surprises in store, you'll enjoy this exciting night of fantastic singers, dancers, bands, and unique acts. Enjoy an evening, showcasing the amazing talent of MBHS students. Tickets are $5 at the door.
Pacific Beach Middle
- Pacific Beach Middle School music director John O'Donnell was awarded the David Paul Schuchman Award for Outstanding Middle School Instrumental Teacher of the year by the Schuman-Orent Fund and the San Diego Unified School District Visual and Performing Arts Department. With a master's of music from Kent State University, O' Donnell has taught music for 34 years, including 12 years in Japan and the last eight years at PBMS.
He has led his Concert Band and String Orchestra ensembles to many wins in regional competitions including Music in the Parks. All PBMS students are welcome to participate in his music classes with no experience required. O' Donnell said: "Everyone can play music, they just need to be taught. Talent is an illusion, it is really all about hard work and desire."
- PBMS eighth-grader Francisco and his brother Dominic each won a first place prize in physics and astronomy at the 63rd Annual Greater San Diego Science and Engineering Fair (GSDSEF) held in Balboa Park on March 15 (above). The GSDSEF is the science competition for seventh through 12th graders in San Diego and Imperial counties where the students get hands-on experience with the scientific method by designing a science project and science presentation.
Francisco won a first place prize in physics and astronomy, and awards from IEEE, AFCEA, and the Society for Non-Destructive Engineering for his project explored how his home built RADAR, designed by MIT, could be used to detect gopher tunnels underground. He has also been invited to compete in the Broadcom National Science Fair as well as moving on to compete in the California State Science Fair.
His brother Dominic, an alumnus of PBMS, won first place prize in physics and astronomy, with awards from the Office of Naval Research, the San Diego Astronomy Association, and the Skeptics Society. Dominic was invited to compete in the Intel International Science Fair as well as moving on to compete in the California State Science Fair. Dominic was also awarded one of six Senior Sweepstakes awards, the highest award offered for the Science Fair, for his project in exploring methods to simplify aligning optical telescopes. They will compete in California State Science Fair on April 24-25 at the California Science Center in Los Angeles.
- Friends of Pacific Beach Secondary Schools’ Boards and Brew Auction is Friday, April 14, at the Soledad Club from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. Enjoy tastings from three local breweries, a roving tiki table, photo booth, and fabulous auction items. Tickets are $30 per person and can be purchased at PBMS and MBHS front offices or online at www.fopbss.org. Everyone is invited to join in on the fun while raising money for PBMS and MBHS.
- PBE is ready for the annual school auction fundraiser, Island Nights, on April 7, at the Soledad Club. Thank you to the many generous businesses and community members who sponsored or donated to this event.
All funds raised will support programs such as San Diego Youth Science, RMC Music, Arts Attack, our beautiful PBE Garden, and so much more!
- Thanks to PBE teacher Jennifer Cromar, PBE will have its second annual Math Night on Monday, April 17. Led by Greg Tang Math, this is an amazing night for kids to explore different concepts of math while playing games and having fun. If you are thinking of enrolling your child at PBE, this is a great opportunity to check out our school. Thank you to Ms. Cromar and Greg Tang Math.