- Mission Bay High School music director Jean-Paul Balmat recently received San Diego Unified School District's Teacher of the Year Award.
An alumnus of Mission Bay High School, Balmat returned after graduating from San Diego State with a degree in music education to lead the MBHS Music Department and the award-winning jazz band, the Preservationists.
Balmat said: "Our students learn how to perform, arrange, and direct, giving them an amazing start to their creative futures. I am grateful for this recognition from my colleagues and fellow educators. I have to share this special moment with my MBHS music team, Malachi Johnson, Joan Li, and my rock star Misty Zinser. It takes a village and I'm so happy I have you there every step of the way."
To find out more about Balmat and the MBHS Music Department, visit missionbaymusic.com.
Pacific Beach Middle
- PBMS Tour, will take place 8 a.m. Thursday, May 4. Sign in at the front office and meet in the PBMS media center to meet principal Meng and learn about all of the great programs offered at PBMS.
- Crown Point Junior Music Academy's spring concert and auction will take place 1 to 4 p.m. April 29 at the school campus. The community is invited to watch talented students perform and participate in silent and live auctions, and raffles. Tickets are $5, include lunch, and are available at friendsofcpjma.com.
- Kate Sessions' annual spring auction and fundraiser will be held Friday, April 28. Join them for a casino night party at the Soledad Club starting at 5:30 p.m. Tickets are $30 per person and are available at www.sandi.net/sessions. All proceeds fund the art, music, library, and other programs for all Sessions students.
- PBE had its second annual PBE Math Night with Greg Tang Math. Sponsored by Friends of Pacific Beach Elementary and brought to the school by PBE teacher Jennifer Cromar, the night was a big hit with students and families. Using different math concepts, kids were able to participate in engaging games and contests.
- The annual Cinco de Mayo Festival and Spring Concert is 5 p.m. May 3. FOPBE would like to thank the ELAC community at PBE for donating all the amazing food, and RMC Music San Diego.
- Friends of Pacific Beach Secondary School's Hammond's Gourmet Ice Cream fundraiser takes place April 10 to May 31. Hammond's is donating 50 percent of net sales to PB schools. Check them out at 1418 Garnet Ave.
and mention the FOPBSS fundraiser.
FOPBSS meeting will take place 6 p.m. Wednesday, April 26 at PBMS media center.
Mission Bay Cluster
- Mission Bay Cluster meeting will take place 6 p.m. Thursday, May 4 in the PBMS Media Center. There will be a presentation by PBMS students, provide updates about Pacific Beach schools, and have an interactive session seeking feedback for the Districts' LCAP (Local Control and Accountability Plan). Childcare and translation provided.
St. Paul’s Lutheran
- Exalt (third and fourth grade) and Acclaim (fifth-eighth grades) student choral choirs from St. Paul’s Lutheran School participated in the Elementary/Middle Lutheran Schools Choral Festival at Concordia University Irvine in March. The event included choirs from other Lutheran schools.
Resound Junior (fifth grade) and Resound (sixth-eighth grade) handbell ensembles from St. Paul’s participated in the Young Ringers’ Festival at Concordia University in March. The St. Paul’s ensembles received outstanding evaluations and had the privilege of working with guest conductors Ramona Miller and Christian Guebert.