Mission Bay High School AP Environmental Studies students, an International Baccalaureate Biology student, and members of the Eco Club presented their projects at the 2017 Ocean Plastic Pollution Summit at Monterey Bay Aquarium on April 29. Six students presented their student-led action projects that reduce single-use plastic consumption at MBHS and in the Pacific Beach community.
"The OPP Summit allows my students to share their passion about the ocean,” said teacher Steve Walters. “They have a chance to share their projects with other like-minded young people, all of them becoming ambassadors for a healthy ocean. I wish I could take more than six, but we will be back next year."
Student presentations included a video, a virtual reality game as played with VR goggles, oral presentations, and a large pirate ship made of discarded plastic bottles.
- The senior panel will take place 6 p.m. Friday, June 1 at MBHS library. Graduating seniors will be sharing their experience at Mission Bay High School with families at the next Mission Bay Cluster meeting. Come find out what high school is like at Mission Bay, the information and stories shared by the panel are interesting.
- The nationally-renowned Mission Bay High School Music Program will hold their seventh annual Jazz on the Green 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, May 20 at MBHS. This outdoor music festival is open to the public and will feature the school’s award-winning jazz ensembles with some incredible guest musicians. Enjoy food from Tacos El Unico, dancing, and activities for children. Families are encouraged to bring seating or blankets. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for students/children. All ticket sales support the music program at Mission Bay.
Pacific Beach Middle
- PBMS Music Program will present the Strings Concert 6:30 p.m. on May 23, and the Band Concert on 6:30 p.m. May 25 in the PBMS Auditorium.
- PBE would like to thank their ELAC community for hosting the annual Cinco de Mayo celebration in early March, raising more than $3,000 to help fund important programs such as science, music, and PE. Students performed in the spring concert led by music company RMC San Diego.
- Open House and Celebration of Art has a new date, 5 p.m. June 8. If you are interested in your child attending PBE, come visit classrooms and tour the art show in the auditorium. Local food truck and PBE supporter Chip’s Beach Eatz will be providing food for sale, with part of their proceeds to be donated to PBE.
- On Wednesday, May 31 at 6 p.m., Sessions Elementary will have its annual Talent Show. This event is open to the public.
- Friends of Kate Sessions Hammond's Gourmet Ice Cream fundraiser runs through June 11. Hammond's is generously donating 50 percent of net sales to PB schools.
- Hammond's Gourmet Ice Cream fundraiser, April 10 to May 31. Hammond's is generously donating 50 percent of net sales to PB schools. Check them out at 1418 Garnet Ave. and mention the Friends of Pacific Beach Secondary School's fundraiser.
- Next FOPBSS meeting will be 6 p.m. Wednesday, May 24 in the MBHS library.