Black Refuse Bins
· The City will collect residential trash twice a week on Tuesdays (although it will be one day later due to the Independence Day holiday) and Saturdays with the second weekly collection starting on Saturday, July 8 and continuing through Saturday, Sept. 30.
Blue Recycling Bins
· Recycling collection will be provided weekly on Tuesdays (although it will be one day later the first week due to the Independence Day holiday) from July 5 through Tuesday, Sept. 26.
· Street sweeping vehicles will clean alleyways every Wednesday beginning in July through September.
Mission Beach residents and visitors can help by:
· Placing waste containers in the street or alley at the point of collection no later than 6 a.m. on collection days;
· Taking in trash bins immediately on trash collection days;
· Parking in legal spaces only (no alley parking) to allow room for trash collecting and street sweeping vehicles;
· Using trash can and trash bin liners to prevent the need for washing bins;
· Keeping waste container lids closed so flies cannot access food sources to lay eggs;
· Keeping trash bins and trash bins away from storm drain inlets;
· Replacing broken containers and/or cracked container lids;
· Providing a sufficient number of containers to fully contain waste generated each week;
· Washing trash and recycling containers to keep the bottoms and sides free of food sources for fly eggs. Be sure no contaminated water is discharged into an alley or storm drain;
· Bagging and sealing trash so flies cannot lay their eggs on food sources;
· Spraying the outside of the lid and top of containers with bleach to deter flies from landing on those surfaces;
· Maintaining containers in garages or side yards away from scavengers who may open trash bags exposing food sources;
· Placing recyclables in blue bins to discourage scavengers from opening trash bags in black bins;
· Rinsing recyclables to remove food remains prior to placing in the blue bin;
· Keeping containers in cool dark locations, away from bright sunlight;
· Utilizing fly paper around your property as appropriate;
· Maintaining driveways, sidewalks and alleys free of trash, debris and vegetation where larva may mature to the last stage of the life cycle; an adult fly. Sweep up trash can and trash bin areas frequently; and
· When cleaning trash cans/bins, direct wash water to landscaped areas only. Do not allow wash water to reach the sidewalk, street or storm drains.