- The PBMS annual Toy Drive is in full swing with students bringing in new, unwrapped toys that will benefit less-fortunate children in San Diego. The classroom that collects the most toys between Nov. 13 and Dec. 1, will receive a day of fun and rides at Belmont Park.
- Next week, Missoula Children's Theatre's little red truck arrives to Pacific Beach Elementary and inside is everything they need to put on a musical... in just one week. One of the most beloved traditions at PBE, join the school as more than 50 students perform “Beauty Lou and the Country Beast.” Performances are 2:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 18.
- PBE's annual Turkey Trot fundraiser was on Monday, Nov. 6, but the school is still accepting donations until Dec. 1. Contribute to the school at fopbe.org/turkey-tr.
- Green Gardens is hosting a fundraiser on Nov. 28 – it's a great time to pre-order your tree, and a portion of the proceeds benefit the school.
- PBE's annual Toy Drive will be Nov. 27 to Dec. 1. Bring a new, unwrapped toy to your classroom to help less-fortunate kids in San Diego. The class that collects the most toys wins a pizza party.
- Barnard students learn Mandarin and experience Chinese culture in their classrooms every day, but the school also acknowledged the diversity of its students’ backgrounds by celebrating Dia de los Muertos this past week. A cultural display of mementos honoring deceased loved ones greeted families in the school’s courtyard. This altar featured traditional elements, such as photos, candles, fruit, flowers, and sugar skulls.
“Barnard brings families together from every corner of the Earth,” explained parent and Dia de Los Muertos event organizer Nora Aquino. “We are lucky to attend a school that unites us through a common language, but still encourages students to express themselves and their native culture.”
For more information on Barnard Elementary School, visit sandiegounified.org.
- Thank you to all the generous families who participated in the contribution drive. The two winning classes with the highest percentage participating and highest dollar amount, won garden parties where students planted trees in the student garden.
- Sessions would like to thank its newest corporate sponsor, ITAN. If you are interested in becoming a Kate Sessions sponsor, contact the school at email@example.com.
- The next Friends of Pacific Beach Secondary Schools meeting will be held Nov. 30 at the MBHS library. Come join in efforts to enhance the educational experience of the students from PBMS and MBHS. Find out what’s happening at PBMS and how you can get involved.
Mission Bay Cluster
- Holiday Shopping Fundraiser at Green Gardens Nursery (4910 Cass St.), 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 28. Get ready for the holidays while supporting PBE, PBMS, and MBHS as you shop for your Christmas tree, pick up supplies to spruce up your garden, or find unique decor and gifts in the gift shop. Twenty percent of all purchases will be donated to FOPBE and FOPBSS.
- Save the date! The Schoolyard Dash 5K will be Jan. 28 at De Anza Cove. Benefitting Mission Bay High and Pacific Beach Middle schools, this event is a fun time for all students in the Mission Bay Cluster. Run or walk along Mission Bay and enjoy local music, food, and vendor booths afterward. Form a team or sign up individually at schoolyarddash.org.