Police kill intruder in Sunset Cliffs home invasion
Published - 12/11/17 - 04:35 PM | 2465 views | 0 0 comments | 33 33 recommendations | email to a friend | print
On Sunday, Dec. 10, at approximately 6:07 a.m., the San Diego Police Department Communication Center received a 911 call reporting that a male was attempting to gain entry into a residence on the 1300 block of Trieste Drive. The caller stated that a male had banged on their front door and windows demanding a knife so he could kill himself.

The first officers to arrive found a 24-year old white male in the front yard of a residence on the 1200 block of Trieste Drive. This residence is directly next to the house where the radio call originated from and its front yard was elevated above the street.

The suspect has been identified as Kyle Zahacefski of Colchester, Conn. Investigators determined that Zahacefski arrived in San Diego on Dec. 9 via bus. It is unknown why he travelled to San Diego.

Zahacefski began throwing bricks at the officers who were parked on the street below. Zahacefski ran towards the residence and the officers lost sight of him. Officers then heard breaking glass and believed the suspect was breaking into the residence. Officers followed the sound of the breaking glass and found a glass door to the residence had been shattered.

Believing Zahacefski had broken into the home and that the residents were in danger, officers entered the home and immediately located the suspect in the kitchen. Zahacefski had retrieved a fixed blade knife from the kitchen and pointed the knife at his throat. Officers repeatedly ordered him to drop the knife but Zahacefski refused.

Instead, Zahacefski pointed the knife at officers and quickly walked toward them. Fearing for their lives, one officer fire several rounds from his AR-15 rifle and another officer fired one round from his bean bag shot-gun. Zahacefski was struck at least one time by an AR-15 round and collapsed to the floor. At this time, it is unknown if the bean bag round struck him.

Officers began providing first aid to Zahacefski. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Two adults were asleep in the residence at the time of the shooting. Neither were injured. Zahacefski did not live at the address and did not have permission to enter.

The San Diego Police Department Homicide Unit responded to the scene and is conducting the officer involved shooting investigation. The involved officer is a 15 year veteran of the San Diego Police Department.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Comments are back! Simply post the comment (it'll complain about you failing the human test) then simply click on the captcha and then click "Post Comment" again. Comments are also welcome on our Facebook page.