Man found guilty of sexual assault, could face 100 years in prison
Published - 05/02/18 - 03:53 PM | 2125 views | 0 0 comments | 59 59 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A man who sexually assaulted a woman in her University City apartment at gunpoint was found guilty late Tuesday of four sex charges and other counts that could lead to a prison sentence of 100 years to life.

The six-man, six-woman jury deliberated 6.5 hours over two days before convicting Jeremiah Ira Williams, 26, of two rape charges, forcible oral copulation, and digital penetration of the young woman on Aug. 13, 2016, after he followed her through a garage to her home.

They also convicted Williams of robbing the woman, making a criminal threat, burglary, and false imprisonment. They also found enhancements true that Williams was armed with a gun at the time, and that the victim was kidnapped, and suffered great bodily injury. The enhancements add years to the sentence.

The jury also convicted Williams of felony assault, making a criminal threat, misdemeanor battery and misdemeanor assault of a second woman in a Grantville motel the next day. They acquitted Williams of forcible sodomy of the second woman.

San Diego Superior Court Judge Kenneth So set sentencing for May 30. Williams remains in the Vista Detention Facility without bail.

"The jury worked very hard and reviewed all the evidence and did a very good job," said Deputy District Attorney Trisha Amador on Tuesday.

Amador said both women testified in the trial that began April 19. Closing arguments were presented Monday, and Williams did not testify.

"A victim going through the sexual assault is one thing, but also coming to court and telling that story again to strangers is, of course, exceptionally difficult," said Amador.

The prosecutor said the 100-year sentence involves consecutive terms of 25 years to life for many of the sex counts involving the first victim.

Williams was not present in court for the verdict and most of the trial.  He made an outburst in court during jury selection and jurors did see him initially at the start of the trial.

But Williams refused to act appropriately and he did not attend most of the trial. He was brought to a holding room near the courtroom by sheriff's deputies daily, but he refused to act appropriately. He was represented by Thomas Bahr, who declined to say anything about his absence in court.

Williams fled the area after the assaults, but he was arrested in Arizona in Nov. 2016 and extradited to San Diego. 
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Comments are back! Simply post the comment (it'll complain about you failing the human test) then simply click on the captcha and then click "Post Comment" again. Comments are also welcome on our Facebook page.