Ocean Beach’s business district has flourished for more than 100 years largely because its homegrown merchants have been supported by a loyal clientele.
And nowhere is that local support more vital than in the Peninsula.
“Shopping at local businesses in your neighborhood is a win-win for everyone,” said Denny Knox, executive director of Ocean Beach MainStreet Association, the community’s business improvement district. “It is important to shop local and support our neighborhood merchants. We’re really excited to create exposure for the variety of retail, dining and services offered in our community to entice people to come to OB to shop small.”
To promote small business-centric OB and shopping local, OBMA again this year is holding a Passport contest, which started on Small Business Saturday, running well into December. So there’s still time to get your passport card and collect hole punches in cards from participating merchants. Once finished collecting card punches, participants can qualify for a chance to win fabulous prizes from OB merchants. Cards must be received by Tuesday, Dec. 11.
Merchants participating in the Passport program this year include: Creations Boutique, 4958 Newport Ave.; Bancroft Pet Supplies, 1874 Bacon St.; OB Business Center, 4876 Santa Monica Ave.; Run for Cover Books, 4912 Voltaire St.; Dog Beach Dog Wash, 4933 Voltaire St.; Sapporo, 5049 Newport Ave.; Lighthouse Ice Cream, 5059 Newport Ave.; OB Brewery, 5041 Newport Ave.; La Playa Books, 1026 Rosecrans St.; South Beach Bar & Grille, 5059 Newport Ave.; and OB Surf Lodge, 5083 Santa Monica Ave.
Also participating are 1502 Noodle House, 2218 Cable St.; Current Collective/Saltwater Supply, 5032 Niagara Ave.; The Electric Chair, 4944 Newport Ave.; Sunnie’s, 4723 Point Loma Ave.; Little Lion, 1424 Sunset Cliffs Blvd.; Tike Port, 2201 Cable St.; Noon Design/Often Wander, 4993 Niagara Ave.; Botanica, 1909 Cable St.; TD Himalaya, 1919 Cable St.; South Coast, 5023 Newport Ave.; Raglan Public House, 1851 Bacon St.; Details Salon Spa, 4993 Niagara Ave.; Voltaire Beach House, 4934 Voltaire St.; and Bone Appetite Pet Supplies, 1785 Sunset Cliffs Blvd.
While you’re making your list and checking it twice, here are a few gift suggestions to consider from OB small businesses:
- OBMA: Drink up in style with OB coffee mugs, pint glasses, and shot glasses ($5 each). OB hats ($26) and tote bags ($15) are available, as well. Check out the full array of merchandise at OceanBeachSanDiego.com or stop by the OBMA office at 1868 Bacon St. to take care of your holiday gifts. “Adorn your holiday tree with the commemorative 2018 OB Mermaid Ornament,” said Nicole Uneo of Ocean Beach MainStreet Association.
- BO-beau kitchen + bar French comfort cuisine at 4996 W. Point Loma Blvd. will be open on Christmas Day hosting a holiday dinner. “It will be a special event, a three-course menu for $45.95 per person for adults, $13.95 per person for kids,” said owner Luna of BO-beau, which is part of the Cohn Restaurant Group.
Patrons can savor the restaurant’s seasonal red pepper soup complementing a prime rib or seared salmon entree, and don’t forget the Ménage à Trois for dessert. Luna said BO-beau will be all decked out with stockings, hats and ornaments for the holidays. “It’s really fun,” she said.
- It’s always special every time you go into The Electric Chair, at 4944 Newport Ave., the holidays included. Owner Marcia said the salon is going to be offering special deals on some of its hairstyling products.
- Run for Cover Bookstore and Cafe at 4912 Voltaire St. will be offering special deals during the holidays.
“We certainly will, though I’m uncertain yet what that will be,” said owner Marianne Reiner who’s bookstore next to Lucy’s Tavern has a large children’s and adolescent’s section. Reiner said though she’ll decide soon on her promotion, hinting it might involved children’s literature and cookbooks.
- Newport Avenue Optometry, at 4822 Newport Ave., has a wide selection of the most popular sunglasses, including Oakley, Ray Ban and Maui Jim, available in both prescription and non-prescription. What could be better than premium, stylish eye protection? Call 619-222-0559.
- Beach Sweets at 5022 Newport Ave.: Celebrate this holiday season with delicious holiday-themed chocolates and confections from Beach Sweets. “Christmas celebrations always include a little decadence that make it a special time of year for everyone,” said owner Laura Lee Smith.
“We have festive chocolates and treats for hostess gifts, Christmas stockings, and ideal gifts for everyone on your list. Beach Sweets is dedicated to quality, and making that special occasion both unique and simply delicious in every way.” 619-222-3322, OceanBeachSweets.com.
- Lighthouse Ice Cream, at 5059 Newport Ave., claims to be the warmest and coziest place on the street. Serving hot Julian apple pie, hot fudge sundaes and their famous hot waffle ice cream sandwich with a new twist. They have also added a new hot pancake sandwich that you have to try. Not only will it warm your hands, but also, your heart. Celebrate the holidays with them. They now accept credit cards. The parlor will be closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Dreamgirls fashions, at 5054 Newport Ave., has a wonderful selection of seasonal clothing and accessories – all at 20 percent off. That makes it easy to give the gift of fashion. Gift cards are available too.
- Coastal Sage Gardening & Botany for Kids, at 3685 Voltaire St., has a wonderful selection of plants, as well as classes for kids to introduce them to the wonderful world of botany. John Noble and his team have been providing Ocean Beach with earth-friendly ideas for years. See their advertisement for 25 percent off everything with the coupon.
- Newport Pizza & Ale House at 5050 Newport Ave.: Craving a beer and a slice of pie after all the holiday indulging? Newport Pizza has 24 craft beers on tap and pizza by the slice.
- Dog Beach Dog Wash at 4933 Voltaire St.: Owner Jane Donley said the holidays are big for customers purchasing dog washes, nail trims and pet stocking stuffers. “We have a full array of gift-wrapped items, small and large,” Donley said, adding coupon books with discounts on washes, gifts and other goodies are available. Guests are also treated to free hot spiced cider. “This year we have gift cards for any amount for merchandise,” she said.
- Sunset Garage at 1946 Bacon St.: Woody and his staff at Sunset Garage want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. They will keep you rollin' through the holidays. And get 10 percent off with the coupon in this issue.