Forrest Robert Brantley, 38, pleaded not guilty to all three charges including the murder of Robert Erbe, 55, that occurred Nov. 28 on Sports Arena Boulevard near Rosecrans Street. He is also charged with premeditated attempted murder and felony assault of the other victim.
Deputy District Attorney William Hopkins said the victim who survived was assaulted five hours earlier before Erbe was attacked in the same general area. The surviving victim was stabbed twice in the back and once in the arm, he said. That victim was hospitalized.
Brantley fled to the Ventura area where he was arrested on Dec. 4. He was brought down to San Diego county jail on Dec. 12. Authorities have not disclosed the motive, if any, for the attacks or how he was identified as the attacker.
The prosecutor said if Brantley is convicted, he faces a prison sentence of 25 years to life. Bail had been set at $1 million, but it was raised to $5 million after a San Diego Superior Court judge heard about the second attack and Brantley's prior record.
Brantley was ordered to return to court on Dec. 24 when a preliminary hearing date will be set. He remains in the George Bailey Detention Facility.