The sentencing of Taylor Suzanne Johnson, 36, was reset for March 9 after Deputy District Attorney Kelsey Hollander mentioned in court that Johnson will be arraigned Jan. 16 on a new case filed against her. Hollander asked the sentencing not go forward Monday.
Johnson pleaded guilty to hit and run in the death of Richard Edward Henkel, 52, who was struck at 11:35 a.m. on Aug. 4 on the Grand Avenue onramp to Interstate 5. Johnson also pleaded guilty to transporting methamphetamine in the same incident.
Johnson, who is free on $50,000 bond, appeared with her attorney, Kenan Gultekin, who wanted the sentencing to go forward. Gultekin said he didn't know very much about the new case and did not represent her on it.
Gultekin said he was going to ask for probation for Johnson and that she wanted to be placed in a residential drug treatment facility.
San Diego Superior Court Michael Groch said he was aware Johnson had been arrested in early December for burglary. The prosecutor didn't give any new details on the new case, adding that she has yet to be arraigned.
"It's enough of a red flag. I wouldn't be comfortable going forward on sentencing," said Groch to the attorneys.
Johnson waived her right to have a speedy sentencing and was allowed to remain free on $50,000 bond. She faces a maximum sentence of four years and four months in prison.