“Many of you likely use or have heard of Winward Academy, since they host free ACT and SAT practice exams at LJHS and sponsor our AVID program.”
Students can use Winward Academy to access the following:
· English lessons to build core skills in grammar and mechanics needed for everyday writing skill and also for the ACT English and SAT writing and language exams.
· Math lessons to review the most frequently tested concepts in algebra, geometry, and algebra II/Trig that arise on the ACT and SAT exams.
· Reading lessons to expose students to the types of passages, question types, and strategies for the ACT and SAT exams.
· Science lessons to expose students to the types of passages, question types, and strategies for the ACT Science section and for the SAT Reading passages with figures and tables.
· Writing lessons that review the prompts, scoring, and examples for the ACT Writing and SAT Essay sections.
· Six real ACT exams that you can self-proctor, self-score, and then review step-by-step explanations for each missed question (ACT diagnostic is available to download through the platform and then ACT tests 1-5 are available in the ACT Official Prep Guide).
· Six real SAT exams that you can self-proctor, self-score, and then review step-by-step explanations for each missed question (SAT diagnostic and SAT tests 1-5 are all available to download through the platform).
“Given the extra time students have during the school closure, I encourage you all to take advantage of this resource,” Podhorsky wrote. “Ninth and 10th graders can use the time to review and solidify foundational English and math skills. Eleventh graders should be the most active to take timed practice exams, review those exams with detailed corrections notes, and then complete lessons in areas with lower accuracy.
“The ACT and SAT are still scheduled for June, so the three-month window between now and then can be maximized to gain the content knowledge, skills, and confidence to grow your score for those June tests.”
If there are any questions about this resource or how kids can maximize their growth using Winward Academy, contact Dr. Jennifer Winward at [email protected]