Saturday, Sept. 26, 9 to 11:30 a.m., the Jenna Druck Foundation presents a young women’s leadership and multimedia event, “Peer Pressure: Learning to Stay Connected to Your Truth.” The event features special guest David Fernandez of “Teen Truth Live.” The event takes place at 1936 Quivira Way at Marina Village. Registration is $5 with scholarships available. For information or to register, visit www.jdleadership.org.
Saturday, Sept. 26, 8 a.m., eighth annual San Diego Brain Tumor Walk to raise funding for brain tumor research. The event takes place at Hospitality Point in Mission Bay Park, 1400 Quivira Way. The event is free for those 5 and under; $15 for ages 6-17 and $35 for adults. To register or for more information, call (866) 455-3214, or visit www.sdwalk.org.
Sunday, Sept. 27, 4 p.m., regular meeting of the Point Loma Democratic Club with featured speaker Brig. Gen. David M. Brahms, USMC (Ret). The event takes place at the Point Loma Assembly building, 3035 Talbot St. For more information, call (619) 222-9344, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mondays, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., the Peninsula Singers practice and encourage others to join at the Hervey/Point Loma Branch Library, 3701 Voltaire St. The choir is beginning its sixth season and is gearing up for a performance at Carnegie Hall in March. For more information, visit peninsulasingerssandiego.org.
Thursdays, 9:30 a.m. to noon beginning Sept. 10, the Continuing Education Department of the San Diego Community College District hosts a literature club to read, discuss and enjoy short stories, plays and poetry in a friendly and supportive atmosphere. The event takes place at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 3598 Talbot St. For more information, call (858) 274-9739.
• Monday, Sept. 28, 2:15 to 3:30 p.m., afterschool Basketball Club meets.
• Monday, Sept. 28 through Thursday, Oct. 1, Scholastic Book Fair.
• Wednesday, Sept. 30, 2:15 to 3:30 p.m., afterschool Theater Club meets.
• Thursday, Oct. 1, 5:30 p.m., dinner begins for Back-To-School Night.
• Friday, Sept. 25, 9 a.m. to 3:45 p.m., Scholastic Book Fair in auditorium.
• Friday, Sept. 25, 9:15 a.m., parent coffee with the principal.
• Tuesday, Sept. 29, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., PTA meeting in library, open to all parents.
• Friday, Sept. 25, 7:45 a.m., principal’s chat for all parents in library.
ST. CHARLES BORROMEO
• Friday, Sept. 25, 5th-graders to food bank; Otter Pops sold after school.
• Monday, Sept. 28, vision screening makeups.
• Tuesday, Sept. 29, 9:15 a.m., Art Corps orientation; school picture makeup day.
• Through Oct. 24, volunteer signups for the Sunset View Halloween Carnival on Oct. 24. Volunteer by visiting www.halloween-carnival.com.
• Wednesday, Sept. 30, arts enrichment, “Early Folk Music” performance.
• Thursday, Oct. 1, Back-To-School Night for parents of grades 6 through 8.
• Saturday, Oct. 3, 9 a.m. to noon, “River Blitz” community service project in partnership with the San Diego River Foundation at the river site near Camino del Rio South.
• Friday, Oct. 9, family barbecue for grades 2 through 5.
Wednesday, Sept. 30, 1 to 2 p.m., Sharp Senior Resource Center hosts “Urinary Incontinence: Causes and Treatment,” a free lecture, at the Sharp Memorial Outpatient Pavilion, classroom B, 3975 Health Center Drive. Registration is required by calling (800) 827-4277. For more information, visit www.sharp.com.
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
Sept. 29-Nov. 1, Mondays and Thursdays, 7 p.m., free Argentine Tango dance lessons hosted by Tango with Colette at Dance Place San Diego, 2650 Truxtun Road at Liberty Station. For more information, call (514) 726-5567, or visit www.tangowithcolette.com.
Oct. 2-31, San Diego Watercolor Society presents its 29th annual International Exhibition with 95 paintings from artists around the world both on display and for sale. A “First Friday” opening reception and award ceremony is set for Friday, Oct. 2 from 5 to 8 p.m. at the gallery, 2825 Dewey Road, Suite 105 at the NTC Promenade at Liberty Station. For more information, call (619) 876-4550, or visit www.sdws.org.
Through Nov. 1, Visions Art Quilt Gallery presents the works of Emily Richardson. An artist’s reception is slated for Friday, Sept. 4 from 5 to 7 p.m. Richardson will also conduct a workshop, “Painting and Composition,” on Saturday, Sept. 5 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with a lecture and tour the same day from 1 to 2:30 p.m. ($10 at the door and lecture is included in the workshop). The gallery is located at 2825 Dewey Road at Liberty Station. For more hours and information, call (619) 546-4872, or visit www.quiltvisions.org.
Cane’s Bar & Grill, 3105 Ocean Front Walk, (858) 488-1780
• Friday, Sept. 25, 9 p.m., SOJA performs with Stranger and Tribal Theory. Tickets are $20 in advance, $25 at the door.
• Saturday, Sept. 26, 9 p.m., Beenie Man performs with Red Flame Sound and High Tide. Tickets are $20.
• Tuesday, Sept. 29, 8 p.m., Tantric performs with Aranda, Vayden and FortyOneSixty. Tickets are $15.
• Wednesday, Sept. 30, 8 p.m., DJ/dancing. Tickets are $10.
Humphrey’s Concerts by the Bay, 2241 Shelter Island Drive, (619) 224-3577
• Friday, Sept. 25, 7:30 p.m., Beach Boys perform. Tickets are $75.
• Saturday, Sept. 26, 7:30 p.m., Keali’i Reichel performs. Tickets are $50.
• Sunday, Sept. 27, 8 p.m., Pink Martini performs. Tickets are $48.
• Sept. 28-29, 7:30 p.m., Crosby, Stills & Nash perform. Tickets are $105.
• Friday, Oct. 2, 8 p.m., Chris Botti performs. Tickets are $50.
Winston’s Beach Club, 1921 Bacon St., (619) 222-6822
• Friday, Sept. 25, 7 p.m., veteran comedian and “founding father” of Ocean Beach Comedy, Steven Kendrick, headlines OBC. Tickets are $5 and available at the door.